Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion Contraction noises

Options
borner
borner Member Posts: 19
Let me start by saying I completely understand iron will expand and contract with heat / cooling, and in seemingly nonsensical units (in/in.. should cancel).
But should it be loud, like REALLY loud... After the boiler turns off 15-45mn later it sounds like someone is hitting my pipes with a hammer in the basement (and a little rattle, probably from long runs). The pipes are insulated, I assume its just some binding on a hanger, I just want to make sure this isn't leading up to something bigger...

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    It seems like you could feel the movement somewhere, and then make some changes to the pipe hangers,--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    If it is just expansion and contraction there is also the milk jug trick. Take an old milk jug and cut some pieces of it out and put between pipe and whatever it's rubbing against. The plastic allows things to slide and not bind. It is a trick many have used when nothing else can be done.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    You sure it's not water hammer? You got pics of near boiler piping? Especially the equalizer/hartford loop?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    That does sound like expansion noises. You need to figure out where the pipes are binding, and make provision for them to slide or move. Since sound telegraphs in the pipe, this can be a little tedious...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    borner said:

in/in.. should cancel

They do cancel, and if you get the units right you get a ratio (percent.)
  • borner
    borner Member Posts: 19
    Options
    well it turns out it was just the radiators on the wood floors, I think they got stuck when the floors were done. I added two sheets of PTFE (I don't drink much milk..) under each foot.. now its silent!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Any type of metal or plastic will do. The aluminum of a soda can or the clear plastic of a water bottle. Water bottles are nice because you can slide a large piece under the feet of a radiator and easily cut it to fit with a razor/utility knife. Making for a really professional looking job. Clean looking.

A clean job is a happy job. Always do a clean job and make everyone happy.