Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polybutylene to PEX adapters

Options
Hi Everyone:

We've got a job where we're replacing a few Infloor manifolds to manifolds that accept actuators. The existing tubing is 3/8" polybutylene and we want adapt to PEX. I believe it was Zurn that had crimp ring adapters for this purpose, but my supplier says they're no longer available. Anyone have a source?

Thanks.

Alan
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I think this is what you are looking for.
    Watts P-305
    Kind of hard to find...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I have had 3/8" ID/1/2" OD Infloor PB tubing with Infloor manifolds in my house for 20 years. Last year the manifold blocks which used the push in quick-connect methods started dripping. I did a fair search for crimp connections for PB and found nothing. What I did end up using were Watts 3515RB-1008 Sea Tech reducing union connector; 1/2" CTS X 3/8" CTS. I did also buy the collet clips to ensure that the collet collars stayed out.
    I put a short piece of 1/2 pex (I believe you use the tube insert on the pex side of the union) on each 3/8 tube and then crimped into a manifold. It does look a little clunky/patchy but if you stagger the unions out it is not terrible. They have been pressured for a year with no problems. However the 4 way mixing valve Infloor 2082 was handy but I have a digital control out on one. Debating on what to replace them with??
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I was going to say look at Sioux Chief or Bow pex but they don't have the 3/8" size in adapters.
    You could try these. The only thought is if the insert fitting will work on the PB.
    http://www.sharkbite.com/product/couplings/
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    The Viega press couplings work and if you own the press tool, make it easy.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Zman got me the goods. Amazon only had a dozen available when I need 30 of the little varmints, but I found a place called Midland Hardware that had plenty in stock.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    Options

The Viega press couplings work and if you own the press tool, make it easy.

I tend to agree with Paul. They aren't speced for the polybutyl but i've got a good deal of 1/2" PB in water service and i just use the viega tool and regular pex fitting.

When i happen to have a pb style around like the 3/8" adapter zman linked (thank god for the internet) then i use the correct fitting but i still use the viega crimper. i don't know what i did with my pb crimpler. its around here somewhere.

so the most spec thing would be the fitting zman linked and the proper crimper for that ring. i'm not sure if the go/no go is the same for present crimp ring crimpers as it was for the pb crimper. although the veiga sleeves aren't available alone anymore it might be a good combo with the fitting zman recommends. sioux chief still makes an alternative sleeve in half inch. i assume they make 3/8" but i've never tried to get one (i bought out my local wholesaler of 3/8, 1/2,3/4 and 1" when i found out viega was discontinuing sleeves so i'm hoarding those and passing them out for favors . . . you can fill in with your imagination although i don't know any women in the trade.) or you could buy a loaded 3/8" veiga plastic coupling and take the sleeves off it. I guess all of this assumes you have or have access to a press sleeve tool.

my experience even without PB fittings has been 100% but obviously this doesn't really meet spec. I guess if i were in an area where the least drip were undesirable i might try to find the right crimp tool and get the watts fitting, but i have pex leaking out pex fittings with crimp rings that are theoretically the correct bits crimped to the correct extent so even going with all the right stuff doesn't always work perfectly. securing the tubing and manifold so you never are faced with an outright pull out is good practice i'd say.

brian