Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Split a single pipe radiator to two rooms

Options
jgem
jgem Member Posts: 3
I want to split a bedroom into two smaller bedrooms. Problem is there is a single pipe steam radiator. I'm wondering If it's possible to put two smaller radiators on the same single pipe? I'm thinking it can't be done but I'm no expert. I've attached two pictures to explain what I'd like to do. I think I can run a pex line and tap into the boiler but I'd rather not do that. Thanks for any insight!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Technically, it will work if the new radiators equal the same capacity as the old one. However, we always see this setup cause some type of problem. If it's your only option, go for it. If you can, though, I'd rather install a dedicated supply line to each radiator.

And never use PEX for steam. It must be black steel pipe and fittings.
    KC_Jones
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a 2 way steam valve. You will have to find a way to tie into the riser and branch off of that and put a steam valve on each radiator and make sure the new piping and radiator have enough pitch to drain back to that riser.
  • jgem
    Options
    I like the steam heat but it tends to be limiting in an old house like mine. Thank you for the replies. I do think if I'm going to stick with the steam it's my only option. Both rooms will be small so an electric baseboard may be the way to go.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I have another thought for you, but it would be good for a pro to chime in with their thoughts on this. What about using the existing radiator between the 2 rooms? Do a minor re-pipe in the room and put the radiator in the wall between the 2 rooms. you could build an opening between the 2 room put the rad in that and then put a radiator cover on either side. It would cut down on the output some, but typically these are over sized for the space anyway. Again a pros opinion on this is welcome. This is an idea I thought about a while ago for a similar situation I am trying to work on for my own house. It also depends on your dividing wall being relatively close to where your pipe is now.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • jgem
    Options
    I like that idea too. Thanks! my whole objective here is to give the kids their own rooms, which will be really small all said and done. Putting the rad in the wall would save a good amount of space. Definitely an option.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem either way. If you use two small radiators, just make sure that the combined EDR isn't much greater than the one that's there now. Then make sure that all the piping is pitched properly and you should be good to go.

The in wall idea is interesting. Depends a lot on how much privacy your kids want!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

The in wall idea is interesting. Depends a lot on how much privacy your kids want!

Definitely a minor drawback, but if they add a rad cover of some sort on either side it will help. The sound will still travel, but hey they are kids they may just find something cool about it. What's funny is the reason I thought about it was I am planning on adding rooms in the attic of my house and was thinking of doing this in that situation because I have an extra rad that someone else removed sitting in my basement. One rad 2 rooms...the mother of invention.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15