Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New First time homeowner, looking for some advice.

2»

Comments

• a1will
    a1will Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2015
    Got my low pressure gauge installed. I'm not sure if it's reading right...It says the system is running at about .25psi.....I have it mounted horizontally, would this effect the reading?

I have everything above the pigtail. A T, with the pressuretrol on top and a close nipple on the side, then another T, with my 0-30 on top and the low pressure gauge on the side.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    That's about 4 OZ. That's good. How long did the boiler run to get there?
  • a1will
    It seemed to go there right after it started making steam...and held steady there.

I was going to install the Gortens as well, but my dinky 3'' pipe wrench wasn't going to cut it....lol...I have some real ones arriving Saturday.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    That sounds great, but what do you mean by "installed horizontally"?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Fred
    Yea, you need those vents. Many of us run at about 1 oz. with good venting. I get up to 4 OZ. after about a 30 minute heat cycle.
  • a1will
    edited January 2015

@vaporvac at the end of an antler I put a tee....there is a gauge on each open end of the tee...One oriented vertically and one oriented horizontally.
  • Fred
    Is one a 0 - 30PSI gauge and the other your 0 - 3 PSI gauge? If both are the same, that's a bit overkill :)
  • a1will
    Ha! Yeah one 0-30 and one 0-3. The old gauge on it was 0-160psi! :'(
  • a1will
    Got the vents installed.

Prior it was taking ~20 min for steam to reach the end of the main.

After install I clocked it at ~4.5 min

Very Nice!

Now i'm looking forward to calculating the amount of fuel used during that 15 minutes that are saved and extrapolating that fuel cost out per day/week/month/year.
  • Fred
    That is a great improvement and it will save fuel but even better, it will let the system run much more effeciently.
  • a1will
    I was going to buy some Hoffman 1a's but the reports of being noisy have cause me to take pause. I think I might get jerry's rad vent sizing e-book before I start blindly swapping out vents.
    KC_Jones
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    It's a good book lots of information and a quick read...and you are supporting charity!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15