Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Busy!

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
During the past week, 210,060 people stopped by here and explored 627,769 pages of this site. 69.7% of those people were here for the first time. Hello!
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    There is definitely something in the air. My phone is ringing so much I can't get my work done. It's a paradox.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Good days ahead for sure!
    Retired and loving it.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    That thing in the air might abnormally low temps across much of the country.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    I'd say Mr. Nadle is correct. -16 here this morning. Chilly! My wife will be driving the kids the 2 miles to school this morning. Too cold to take chances. Brrrrr.

If not for this site, I would've had to call a pro for a dumb iced over intake vent last weekend...hopefully others find the same excellent help!
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    FranklinD said:

I'd say Mr. Nadle is correct. -16 here this morning. Chilly! My wife will be driving the kids the 2 miles to school this morning. Too cold to take chances. Brrrrr.

If not for this site, I would've had to call a pro for a dumb iced over intake vent last weekend...hopefully others find the same excellent help!

In my useless and minority opinion, if you have a Mod-Con boiler and the intake is freezing/icing up, you have cross contamination and are sucking exhaust into the intake.

If it is -16F outside, there is little to no available moisture in -16 degree air but the exhaust air is saturated to the point that it makes clouds or fog. The surface of the intake at the outside of the building is -16 degrees. Water vapor may not freeze until it is as low as -40. The vapor only needs a frozen surface that is at least 32 degrees to freeze on. You need more separation between the exhaust and the intake. For your location, they need to be a minimum of 30" from the ground. Probably more.

If it is making up ice on the intake and blocking it when it is that cold, I would consider taking the boiler cover odd until it warms up. It could get messy.