Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

i need a plan for my project

Options
maybemark
maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
I have made so many posts, had got so many opinions, started buying materials, finding out from some people i should have gotten something else.
I need one person, who really knows about mod/con boilers. I will ask this person to make me a plan, and tell me exactly what to get. i don't expect this to be done for free. But i need help. And putting it on the wall each question, i might get 6 different right answers, but for me, it makes it very difficult for understanding.
who is the smart one, that has time to talk me thru this project of mine. i have a great plumber who is old school. Is not a believer in mod/con, but is willing to do the plumbing, as long as I have a pipeing plan, with all the parts i need, and where they should go.
Who's interested?
mark

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    This residential or comercial, where are you located?
  • maybemark
    Options
    my house, in chicago
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    Well I will bit how many zones in the house, do you want a combi boiler like what's advertised on the right hand side of the websight?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Mark,
    I design and consult all over the place . If you would like , give me a call . Have references in your area , well Bull Valley , out near Cary .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • maybemark
    Options
    For those of you that have not seen my other posts.
    My house is between 90 and 100 yours old. i have 2 layers of brick and 1 layer of clay block with plaster directly on the block. I have new windows, and new entry doors. i have about 16" of blown in insulation in the attic. i have a heat loss of almost 77k. I used a slant fin calculator to find out this number. I have an old converted gravity fed system. The system i have now is a way oversized 35 year old boiler, that is working but is killing me with my gas bills. i have 1 zone and that is fine with me. i have way too many radiators. On my other posts are the numbers of the raditors to the heat loss per room, SWEI and Gordy was nice enough to do the calculations for me
    I already purchased a whn 085 radiator and a 40 gal DHW by Lochinvar. I started to purchase 1" materials for the near by boiler parts. i still have alot of materials to purchase.
    I was a carpenter and general contractor but now i have been on disability for the last 3 years because of health reasons. My fund are little, and i need to take money from my line of credit to do this project.
    Fred my good friend plumberwill be doing the work. he is an excelant plumber but he's old school and does not know about mod/con boilers. this is when i need a plan.
    It was great asking questions on the wall, and i did get alot of information. But it became too overwhelming for me.
    Originally, I asked somone to do what i am asking for now. he's a good man, i talked to him a couple tim3es on the phone and he helped me alot. but he is so busy and i have to respect that. I am so anxious to get this plan together, thou I will not be doing the project until march or april, when the weather is nicer.
    I knew nothing about these boilers before i came to the site, and from these days i have been on the site, asking questions on posts, I actually have started to learn a little. I had ordered a book that Dan wrote (How Come) it was suggested by someone in one of my posts. My hope, is to learn more about boilers and the systems. To be able to learn enough, to tell Fred, we are going it this way.
    I'm 60 years old, on disability, taking out a loan for this project, excited to learn, but I need someones help. i need just 1 person to make a plan for me. Some that will talk me thru this.
    I know there are alot of very smart people on this site. And i have gotten alot of help. problem with listening with many, and purchasing materials, i hear from others, i should have purchase different things because they would have done it a more effecient way.
    I started purchasing parts in 1" copper for the near by boiler.
    Please help
    mark
  • maybemark
    Options
    these are the calculations that SWEI and gordy were nice enough to do for me, the unfortunate part, i am not smart enough to understand them.
    Later on in that post, Gordy was able to help me understand a little about the numbers
    System balance seems worse than I would have expected from the Dead Guys. The third column (ahem) here shows how many BTUs per square foot of EDR are needed to heat the room to the indoor design temp at outdoor design conditions:

EDR Heat Loss Btu/sqft
    Living Room 227 15,565 68.6
    Front Hall 30 5,496 183.2
    Dining RM 51 6,279 123.1
    M.Bed 39 6,065 155.5
    Bed 2 30 1,360 45.3
    M.Bath 21 2,353 112.0
    Kitchen 134 7,351 55.1
    Office 48 4,266 88.9
    Powder RM 18 1,271 72.6

Kitchen 134 7,351 54.9
    Bed 101 6,527 64.8
    Bath 18 2,604 144.7
    Dining 29 3,224 109.8
    Living RM 61 7,499 123.7
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,377
    Options
    Those btu/sq ft numbers don't look right. How many total sq ft is the house?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • maybemark
    Options
    not exactly sure somewhere around 2400 or 2600 sq ft
  • Ironman
    Options
    Well, at 2600 sq ft, that comes to just under 30 btu's per sq ft. Not bad for 100 year old house with uninsulated walls.

I don't know how you came up with the btu/sq ft numbers you posted.

What you're trying to accomplish is very simple and something that we do on a regular basis. I don't know where all the confusion is (I haven't read each post) but it's probably between each pro having his own preferences and your not understanding what they're suggesting.

I think your doing the wise thing in just choosing one to design it. But, a word of caution: once you choose one, don't post their design on here to be critiqued. That will only lead to more confusion as each not only has their own preferences, but most of us are very opinionated about them.

You've had a couple of offers by competent men. I'll throw my hat in to give you a third option.

P/M whichever of us you want help from.
    Bob Boan
    RobG
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's btus per sf of EDR "needed" for each room. Last column. Middle column is btu output at 150 btus sf EDR. 1st column sf EDR.
  • maybemark
    Options
    Ironman
    I think you know where i am coming from. There are probably several ways to do my project, and many of them will work good, some will work great, and others might not work. As you agree with me, posting my questions, I get alot of different answers, some the same, but for me that don't know, it's overwhelming. If your willing to talk to me off the wall, i would like that.
    Gordy
    Thank you for making it clear the calculations .I appreciate it.
    Ironman, what gordy went and said, does it make more sence to you now?
    thanks guys
    I truely appreciate your words
    mark
  • Ironman
    Options
    Everything Gordy says makes sense to me. :smile:

Just P/M me with your contact info. After that, the first thing I'd like to see is some pics of your system.
    Bob Boan
    RobG
  • maybemark
    Options
    I'm glad what gordy mentioned makes sense. he's been very helpful to me from the begining
    Mark
  • maybemark
    Options

• maybemark
    Options
  • maybemark
    Options
    short 3" to 2" 2 pairs of main runs on each side of house to 1" brances to radiators.
    3" to 1 1/4 to boiler
  • maybemark
    Options
    sorry for the side way photos, i thought i had they proper, also very difficult to take good pictures no room behind me to get large shots
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    The help I will offer is this. Get another plumber that believes in mod /con boilers and you will be better off.
  • maybemark
    Options
    thank you for your help