Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hot water boiler freeze up start up

Options
was 33 degree when I got to the realitors empty house. dead batteries in stat stopped the boiler. found broken rad 2nd floor bath room. cqpped off the 2 -3/4 blk risers + took it out of service (rad)
put my air compressor on it last nite running pressure up to 20# entire system. left 1 1/2 hour came back to 10#
used electronic sonic with ear phones to not hear any leaks. T + C piping. do u think it safe to fill + run. I will not be back for 6 hrs??

bob

Comments

• robert borders
    robert borders Member Posts: 48
    Options
    comment by bob, please respond on line or my ipad address bixjogger@gmail.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,399
    Options
    I wouldn't. It shouldn't have lost that much pressure, and you may have another crack or cracks somewhere. I wouldn't put water in it until I found the problem(s).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • robert borders
    Options
    from bob, 19 reviews, one comment?
    how much air can I use as to pressure w/o damage any blatters or anything else? if Freon system would use nitrogen in as high a pressure as possible w/o blowing up anything
    drove 70 miles round trip to work here today. in meantime going back to get my 100# compressor on it again, recheck using ear phone + sonic leak detector, then leave it an hour as I go to lunch. hopefully when I come back can get more opinions or locate any leaks. it lost 10# of air in 1 1/2 hr last nite but no idea where it went unless it got thru unions or relief??
    + thx
    Bob 319-795-0822
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Blow out the entire heating system and drain it with compressed air. Then, charge the system with 25# to 28# of compressed air. If there are any leaks, you will heat the air. If the system is cooling down, the water will contract and the pressure can drop.

Be sure that any can vents have their caps down tight.

I would put as much temporary heat in place as you can. If you had frozen radiators that broke, you might have radiators that have ice in them but haven't broken. That's why you need temporary heat. The ice can hide leaks.

Is all the potable water still running in the house? If it is, and you don't think you can get the heat back on, drain the pipes. Blow it out with air.
    Gordy
  • wmtandson
    wmtandson Member Posts: 62
    Options
    bob remember Ice stops water and air ,so a blockage of ice
    will hold back both until the ice melts
    I purchased a Hot shot by General pipe for thawing pipes
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I don't know how long it will take to fill and fire up the boiler to at least 140*f but that may be the quickest way to find any more leaks if there are any.
  • robert borders
    Options
    appreciate the quick answers, esp the 1st one on find the leak problem 1st. came back to find the 20# completely gone. isolated the expansion tank and put nitrogen in it. was able to hear one. the temporary heat is a great idea cause I know the split/ice hiding problem
    of course the owner whom lives out of state + can't sell this old barn is $ conscious. he has given up on getting me to open my mouth on a price. been there done that way to many times. "I need to get a budget..........." only if you can tell be what I will be doing and spending can I offer a price, + if you want a bid, unfortunately, you will have to call some one else"
    Left pressure in it for the night and will check tomorrow. getting some temporary heat is good idea, I have one salamander 40K BTU. may use that one on 1st floor and get a 2nd for the 2nd floor before I charge it with water. have the WH and potable water drained since day one.
    I saw 3 of these systems destroyed last year by others and want to save this warm comfortable cast iron radiation heating system.
    thx gentlemen
    Bob Borders