Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weather Data

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I just picked up one of these http://www.onsetcomp.com/products/data-loggers/ux120-014m and a few temp loggers. I am going to use it to monitor boiler cycles, supply return temps ect. I think it will be useful for diagnosing problem systems and double checking heat loss calcs. Onset also make some nice electrical loggers I plan on buying.

I got to thinking it would be nice to be able to graph and consider factors other than indoor/ outdoor and water temps. I think sun intensity and wind speed would be helpful.

Someone recently posted this site http://www.degreedays.net .Great site!

Does anyone know of a source for the weather data I am looking for?

I could purchase loggers for this but they are pretty expensive and getting the correct placement would take some work.

As always,
Thanks in advance,
Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weather underground will get all that historical, except solar influence. Being able to monitor heat plant run times is an asset to.
  • Zman
    Options
    Gordy,
    Thanks, I will look deeper at weather underground.
    I am thinking that putting one of the 4 sensors on the boiler supply will give me run times and actual usage for a conventional single boiler . I am also considering using the electrical logger for that. I think it would accurately show the modulation of a mod/con.
    I am not sure the solar info is that critical. I think the wind speed would be interesting as it has a huge effect on both heat loss and air infiltration. I would love to be able to see what the energy usage looks like on 0 degree sunny, calm day vs. a 0 degree cloudy, windy day.
    Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordy
    Options
    That very scenario added exactly 1 hour extra heat call. Identical HDD.
  • Zman
    Options
    Gordy said:

That very scenario added exactly 1 hour extra heat call. Identical HDD.

It must vary greatly from structure to structure.
    Especially log homes...
    Albert Einstein
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    This is our first full heating season with our new boiler, so I've been paying attention more than I ever have previously. I did notice recently that a zero degree, windless night averages a water temp of about 130*, where as a zero degree night with a NE wind of 15-20 mph results in about a 140* water temp.

Of course, these are just observed based on my little 'weather station' (with an anemometer) and the average temp of the hottest radiators using an IR temp gun, so not very accurate. But interesting.

My house is typical of 1914, balloon framed Foursquare, three stories, unfinished full basement, 20 year old blown in cellulose, originally wood sided and now with fiber cement siding over it. Some new windows, some old (with storms). I'm about 6 blocks from the shore of Lake Superior (Western tip).

I do have a lot of balancing to do for next winter...I've noticed that the upstairs always runs 6* warmer than the first floor.

I'd love a few widgets for temperature datalogging and the other things you mentioned. I'll have to look and see what's out there.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Zman said:

Someone recently posted this site http://www.degreedays.net .Great site!

Does anyone know of a source for the weather data I am looking for?

degreedays.net will query any PWS that Weather Underground has in their system. Just put in the correct station ID and have at it. If you need older data, they have a desktop app that will do a bit more and also an API you can use to dive even deeper.
    Zman
  • Gordy
    Options
    Carl it was 1/2 hour extra for identical,design days one sunny 10-15 mph. The other day was cloudy, and windy with wind direction shifting through out the day winspds 25-35 gusting to 40.

I live in town. Same house out in the country on a hill in the middle of tin buck to different all together.