Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing a Steam Radiator with another Steam Radiator

Hello - I have a steam radiator that recently started to leak at the bottom (rusted out). I have a different steam radiator that I would like to replace it with but has a slightly different configuration. Based on the dimensions below - would it be OK if I swap out the two radiators or would it cause any issues. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Current Radiator:
38" tall, 2 columns deep, 8 sections wide

Potential Replacement Radiator:
32" tall, 6 columns deep, 8 sections wide

This is a single pipe steam system.

Thank you

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
    If it fits in place, piping you would just extend, also as long as the btu's match the radiaters you should be ok.
  • steamheatnewb
    steamheatnewb Member Posts: 29
    Actually piping height also seems different... the potential replacement radiator would require the pipe to be about 1.5-2" off the ground while the current one is a little more than 3"... so that is another problem I would need ideas on how to solve?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,088
    The size doesn't strike me as a problem -- although as suggested you might want a slower vent.

The height could be. However,since you will need to use the replacement radiator's valve anyway -- or go to the trouble of taking the spud out of the existing radiator (the union between the valve and the spud has to match!) is there any access to put a shorter vertical pipe in to bring the valve to the new height? That's the best solution. The alternative is to raise the new radiator on blocks or something to fit.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • wmtandson
    wmtandson Member Posts: 62
    yes just do it!
  • steamheatnewb
    steamheatnewb Member Posts: 29
    Out of curiosity - how do you measure the EDR? I thought the EDR of the current one would be 28?