Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitodens 200 recurring bad radial blower Why?

1780moneypit
1780moneypit Member Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello all,
I'm a homeowner who 10 years ago did a lot of self-education and stretched to afford what I thought was the highest quality boiler for my home: Vitodens 200 (6-24). After 2 years the boiler started making a LOT of noise. Called the experienced boiler pro who did the install. He came out, found the radial blower to be failing and replaced it. Now, 8 years later, the same thing is happening. Whenever the Vito blower ramps up (DHW call, etc.) it sounds like a 747 landing. I have my pro coming to inspect but believe that once again the blower is going bad. The vent is not long (one 90 degree just above the boiler and 12 feet of straight vent pipe. Located outside Boston and sized appropriately so nearly all the time the unit is modulated to a very slow fire, low fan speed, and remains quiet...but when it modulates up the loud vibrating noise is very concerning a major change from when first installed.

Since these blowers are not cheap, I am left wondering?
Is it common to replace two blowers within 10 years?
Could there be something wrong my pro is doing (although presumably the factory, not my pro, installed the first fan)?
Is there something about the install that could be contributing to this?

I'd like to do what i can to avoid future costly issues. All suggestions appreciated.

Errol

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    are you sucking in flue gas? maybe cross contamination. Are all the innards shiny or do you have some discoloration?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Like Gary suggests, the boiler could be inhaling the flue gas through the co-pipe vent; a combustion analysis through the correct vent port will tell you. Radial fans seem to last 7-10 years. If you're near the ocean, salt water can affect longevity. You may also want to check for a pinched gasket on the boiler vent connector.
  • 1780moneypit
    Thanks for the input. 18 miles from the ocean so that shouldn't be the issue.
    When blower was previously replaced combustion analysis looked good...but I suppose gaskets, etc. can fail. I assume measurement of combustion (intake) air at the measurement port would show high CO2 levels if there is cross contamination??

Will have more info within a couple days when fan gets pulled for inspection. Maybe this fan is just giving up the ghost at the near side of a normal lifespan.

EW
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Cross contamination won't happen all the time. It will happen under certain weather conditions and it will do exactly these guys have said.
    Post some pictures of your vents.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    do you have the 'bird cage' installed? We had some issues with the old cage
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • 1780moneypit
    Thanks all for the thoughts.
    It turns out the blower is fine. With the inner and outer covers removed, the vibration sound is virtually gone. When covers are re-installed at first the sound remained almost gone...now it is starting to return. Troubleshooting continues.
  • tuckerd22
    tuckerd22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if the source of this problem was ever identified. I have the same noise problem with my vitodens when the boiler ramps up to its higher setting during call for heat. Can hear it in the basement from my third floor. The whole unit vibrates and pressure gauge rattles. We are near the ocean, boiler 5 years old and same flue set up as described above.