Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STONE SILENT GLOW DIESEL HEATER, NOZZLE SEVERELY SOOTED, WONT LIGHT

Options
BHOLBROOK
BHOLBROOK Member Posts: 1
STONE SILENT GLOW DIESEL HEATER, NOZZLE SEVERELY SOOTED, SEEMS TO SPARK, BUT WILL NOT LIGHT. NOW WILL NOT DO ANYTHING. HAS A SUNDSTAND PUMP, A1VB-7013, 3 GPH, 1725 RPM, 100 PSI PUMP THAT SEEMED TO WORK BEFORE THIS PROBLEM. HEATER ACTUALLY SEEMED TO SPIT FUEL WHEN IT WOULD STRUGGLE TO START BEFORE. WONDERING IF IT HAS PROPER NOZZLE IN IT? WHEN IT LIGHTS IT DOES SEEM TO WORK WELL. STRUGGLES TO START AT TIMES.. I REPLACED THE ORIG TRANSFORMER (JEFFERSON ??) WITH A CROSS REFERENCED DONGAN A05-SA6 LAST SEASON, SEEMED TO WORK OK, BUT STILL HAD STARTING ISSUES AT TIMES. ANY THOUGHTS FROM THE EXPERTS? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I have worked on many space heaters. I know diesel is cheaper to run, but you are always better off running kero. Post some pics, also does it have what looks like a long spark plug for ignition? Correct nozzle size for it? Filter and strainer replaced? Two pipe fuel system?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Those aren't made anymore.
    When they don't work, it us usually a vacuum leak on a loose oil fitting. Its just a standard oil burner.

If you are the same person out on the Internets, looking for a part you broke, it may not work until you get the correct parts.

Anyone slick with oil burners should be able to troubleshoot that thing easily and get it running. Its not a job for trial and error mechanics. You only need fuel and ignition for them to run. Without one or the other, they won't run.
  • dcgillespie
    dcgillespie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    can anyone point me in the directions of spare parts and/or a manual. does anyone have any idea what kind of gap is required between the two electrodes or how much voltage is required at the electrodes, guess a manual would have this information. my heater is a stone silent glow sg300. the electrode for this machine does not look like a spark plug.
  • kevinj_4
    kevinj_4 Member Posts: 91
    Options
    The stone is a standard oil burner design made for #2 oil, not kero. It does not use a normal oil gun however, the burner built into the casing of the heater.

As stated above, any good oil tech can work on this thing. The only odd item I remember is that the pump was belt driven.
    Robert_25
  • dcgillespie
    Options
    I'M BEING TOLD THAT YOU CANNOT FIND PARTS FOR THE STONE SILENT REFERENCED ABOVE. IS THIS TRUE?
  • dcgillespie
    Options
    ALSO KEVINJ, YOUR CORRECT, THE PUMP IS BELT DRIVEN. I CANNOT GET THE SPARKER TO FIRE.
  • booder
    booder Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have 3 of thes heaters if anyone is interested. Motors run and has fuel pressure but not igniting
  • jalexanderiii
    jalexanderiii Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Need parts,manual,any info available for stone silent glow heaters. I have lost the thermostat,plate,mounting for the control box on my heater.