Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My first time using this pipe...already a big fan.

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I've added another type of pipe to my arsenal.

The two yellow pipes are oxygen barrier Pex tubing encased in an insulated corrugated pipe.

Ideal for running boiler or radiant pipe from one building to another or remote manifolds in snowmelt applications.

The black cap is a heat shrink cap. It starts out at 9" and after carefully putting a torch to it for about 10 minutes, it shrinks to the 6" OD the blue pipe. Seals everything water tight.

Every item you see there is pricey but absolutely the way to go in the above-mentioned applications.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    What brand/type of pipe is it?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tinman
    Options
    The brand is MicroFlex and I believe is they are connected to Watts in some way. It's Pex A with X-linked oxygen barrier. Those are 2 - 1 1/2" pipes plus the outer insulation and sleeve...definitely a 2 man job working that into place. The brass fittings you see were very easy to work with and seem to have been well thought out. My biggest surprise was seeing that 9" heat shrink cap morph into a 6" water tight cap. It took about 10-15 minutes per cap, less than 5 minutes per fitting.
    Steve Minnich
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If you do one again, make a 3 sided box (like a wooden miter box) the same sixe as the outside blue pipe out of 2" x 6" or 8" about 6' or longer, and put the pipe assembly in it for a few days or more. Use some shingles to pry apart the PE fittings and fittings. Put some high intensity work lights shining down on the assembly. It will warm up the pipe and make it take a true direction. Take it away and connect. It will want to take its old path. The only problem with that stuff is how hard it is to work with.

Those connecting adapters are standard A.Y. McDonald underground water service fittings, If you need odd ones, you can get them there. Don't forget to put the Stainless Steel stiffeners inside the pipe.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 885
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy" who derails the post and I don't want to ask for price but can I get this cut to length and is the price for 100' gonna make me throw up? It looks like a great product. I have a customer who wants to move his wood boiler to his shop and it's about 100' away from the current location.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Tinman
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This company will cut to length as specified. I'm in the Chicago area and got mine from Porter Pipe and Supply. The pipe and the fittings aren't cheap but nothing that will cause gastrointestinal problems. The heat shrink caps are another story.
    Steve Minnich