Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Metal-on-wood Expansion Noise - How to Eliminate? - a "What Worked" Update (12/14)

Options
KevinK
KevinK Member Posts: 67
edited December 2014 in Strictly Steam
This is a “what worked” update to my original posting of this question in February of 2011. The original discussion has been closed out, hence this separate post.

In summary: I had expansion noise in a number of locations coming from two basic sources:
1. The basement steam mains where they come in contact with wood (e.g., where a main crosses a support beam; where the main or riser comes in contact with the basement sill plate); and,
2. Radiator legs sitting on old oak flooring.

Final resolution: the simplest solution was the best. What worked in both instances was the recommendation to insert pieces of a plastic milk bottle (cut to size) in the problem areas. I did this almost 4 years ago and haven't had a noise problem since. And some of the noise was severe enough to wake me up at night. The milk bottle plastic is very thin; it is rigid enough for the application; it holds up over time; it is essentially free; and, this solution represents recycling/reuse/re-purposing at its/their best.

Getting the plastic strips under the steam mains took a little thought. You only need to temporarily raise the main an 1/8-inch or so via some type of jack. You get the main up; slip the plastic under; then remove the jack. In one case I was able to lever a to-length 2x4 (using a short 2x4 as the lever, and, I forget what as the fulcrum) with my foot. In another case, I had to get a friend to help me install a temporary jack using a hydraulic jack (small ones are available from big box stores and Harbor Freight for approx. $20) and a 4x4 in combination.

A note: the spray lubricant that I mentioned in my original postings helped on the steam mains (I wouldn't use on the radiator legs due to the smell, etc.), but in at least one case provided only a temporary solution.

I hope this is of help to anyone who has similar problems. Thanks to all who posted.
One-pipe steam. NG fired. 2100 sq ft heated space.
Utica Boiler PEG150C (150,000 Btu/hr Input) connected to 491 sq ft of radiation. Operating press 0.5 psi.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,611
    Options
    and thank you for replying with the update!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England