Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky safety relief valve / need replacement

Options
HarryL
HarryL Member Posts: 59
In my search for more leaks I noticed that the cement floor, below the pipe coming out of the safety pressure valve, appeared damp. I watched this during a complete firing cycle and never saw any moisture coming out of the pipe. I then took a large baggy and placed it over the end of the pipe. After a day of moderate running there was about an 1/8th of a teaspoon of water in the bag. I've been bothered by this valve since reading in the installation guide "Safety Valve must be installed with spindle in vertical position." and noting that my valve is installed horizontally. I'm not sure of the exact implications of this not being installed correctly, but at least at this point the valve seems to have developed a leak.

Just to be sure that I'm not missing something obvious, there should be zero steam coming out of this under normal pressures, correct?

And if this needs to be replaced, are there any specifics that I need for the replacement? The Burnham Independence manual online lists "3/4 NPT, 15 psi, Conbraco 13-511-08". I also see supply house has "Safety Relief Valve, 15 PSI for All Res. Steam Boilers". Of course, I would like to run over to a big box or hardware store this morning and pick something up but I expect they will only have something for hot water boilers.
Home owner, 1927 2-story, single family
1 pipe Burnham IN4I, Boston area

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,611
    Options
    Use the Conbraco. That valve is the last line of defense against a catastrophe -- that and the LWCO -- and is the last place you want to try to skimp. Mount it as the boiler diagram shows, and make sure that the outlet is a straight pipe ending no more than a fooy off the floor. No other valves, no obstructions.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England