Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

knocking steam pipes

Options
norb
norb Member Posts: 44
This past Monday I had a brand new Weil Mclain steam boiler (peg45) installed. I have natural gas. All the radiators
are heating nicely. Initially there was an odor for a few days ( I suppose factory lubricants and such). The odor is now
basically gone, or very faint at times. Beginning yesterday, Day 5 of the new boiler, there is now banging in the pipes.
It does not happen every time the furnace cycles, but it is happening often. I did not have this happen in my old
boiler ( not for about 15 years). I also now hear hissing out of the vents of most of my radiators-----I did not have this
either with my old boiler. When it happened about 15 years ago, the banging, my then plumber poured a powder, I
believe down into the boiler , via the safety escape valve. This took care of the banging at that time. Would this be the thing to do now? I am going to call the guys that installed it, but I wanted some advice on to what is causing the banging as well as the hissing ? (air in the system? water problem?) Also, what is the solution? ( the powder thing again?--if so what it the name of this powder?) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    New boilers have to be skimmed to remove the oils introduced when replacing a boiler and new pipe. If the sight glass is bouncing up and down a lot and the water looks murky it's a sign the boiler needs skimming. Did the installer skim the boiler and did he put in a skim port for you?

Chemicals (squik is one name) can be used to clean the boiler but skimming does the same thing. It may take several sessions of 2-3 hours to get all the oils out of the system.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    The residual oils on the new boiler and its piping have now settled in the boiler itself, and will need to be cleaned out using a technique know as skimming. This is the controlled draining off from the surface of the water of all these oils. It can be done by the homeowner, and will take several sessions of several hours each time.
    Neither draining, and refilling, nor magic powders will ork properly. If your installers followed the manufacturer's instructions, they will have installed a special valve foe this purpose, and will go through the procedure outlined in the instructions with you. Failure to follow through with this will result in a noisy, and unbalanced system, with early failure, and may invalidate the guaranty. A properly installed steam system will make no noise whatsoever.--NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,611
    Options
    It may sound obvious -- or repetitive! -- but what pressure is the new boiler set at? And were the water lines matched?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Post a pic or 2……Someone will respond, I am sure…