Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New System.......weighing options........

2»

Comments

• Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,121
    What did you change?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Eastman
    I used the menu system above the comment window to add the image. The "Attach a file" doesn't seem to be for images.
  • ChrisJ
    Oh,

Look at that! thanks!

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_Jones
  • Eastman
    Gotta go... The Donmogulator No. 2 for retrofits to systems with mismatched heat loss to EDR to be posted here around midnight eastern.
  • Eastman
    Behold... the Donmogulator No. 2: vacuum steam for retrofits, setback friendly.

• Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    LOL!! I came back to see the action (and I'm lovin it!) and found that many days ago I started to respond.......then the phone rang.......and my post thanking you all for your suggestions (FUN READING FOR SURE!!!) was just sitting here waiting to be posted. I have been INUNDATED AT WORK and when I get home.....I crash. I LOVE a K.I.S.S. approach.........
  • Don_197
    I wonder if I can find any of those old steam powered fan coils (although damn they are ugly......and what about replacement parts) from the old mini tube system?? I think I'd rather have big beautiful cast iron rads anyway....something to put my hat/gloves/boots on to dry.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    Don said:

I wonder if I can find any of those old steam powered fan coils (although damn they are ugly......and what about replacement parts) from the old mini tube system?? I think I'd rather have big beautiful cast iron rads anyway....something to put my hat/gloves/boots on to dry.

I am wondering if there is any existing technology or equipment that could be retasked as a steam powered fan? On some level it would basically be like a mini turbocharger. One side runs off high temp "gas" and the other puts out air, just need one small enough and affordable enough.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Eastman
    edited December 2014
    @Don You are thinking of the Select Temp units. You don't won't the fans. The fans just allowed for very small and light weight terminal units. The fans have nothing to do with mini tube per se, other than being part of the variable EDR output control system at each rad.

The modern equivalent would be a larger rad with a TRV. The heart of Select Temp was variable EDR controlled by a thermostat at each rad. This eliminates balancing issues that potentially require larger mains to resolve. Eliminating large mains together with variable EDR allows the boiler to be sized to the heat loss and not EDR plus a piping and pickup factor.

Hence I have suggested you install a mini tube system that is fully TRV'd --capturing the essential features of Select Temp but only using what is common and tested while avoiding the forced air qualities of the turbo convectors. The Donmogulator would pick up where the Iron Fireman left off.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    I share Fred comments.kiss is the best appoach here.We all know if they do not understand it they are just going to rip it out and install something they understand.And dont kick out the baby with the bath water you can still achieve comfort n saving with a forceair system.
  • ChrisJ
    don said:

I share Fred comments.kiss is the best appoach here.We all know if they do not understand it they are just going to rip it out and install something they understand.And dont kick out the baby with the bath water you can still achieve comfort n saving with a forceair system.

Saving, perhaps but you'll find many will disagree with you in regards to comfort.

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Oh i have no doubt chris.thanks for the pics so funny.
  • Don_197
    Crown molding emitters anyone??
  • Eastman
    edited December 2014
    How about steam rads sized to 50% of heat loss, underfloor tubing for base load?
  • Don_197
    underfloor STEAM tubing?
  • Don_197
    (there is a Gothic style Cathedral here in my hometown on the Gonzaga campus that has bare steam pipe under the pews (under the floor) for heating......toasty 8-) )
  • Eastman
    I was thinking hot water for the tubing.
  • Don_197
    Thats it.......the forced air is going......I've had it. the static electricity in the house is worse than I have ever seen in my life. I realize that this is a function of no humidification and leaky windows/wall/door......but it is also inherent in scorched air. It's so funny......I grew up with scorched air......I serviced, maintained, repaired, and SOLD forced air for the first ten years of my career (going on 22 years now total) and its only been the last 12 years that I have had radiant heat (the first 5 of which was from a pellet stove in my lake house.....and ceiling radiant electric in my apartment. I am a true convert. Steam is the only way to go. A properly designed hydronic radiant system is great as well......but I know from experience the headaches that the controls, valves. and everything else that goes with are a PITA (and I DESIGNED AND SOLD these for years......and am a bit of a controls guru/geek) STEAM HEAT IT IS!!!! Now to source the radiators (this will be a fun adventure for me......as I will see what I can salvage from those that aren't as savvy about what they have (without taking advantage of course). I only need a radiator for each room (living room, kitchen, bathroom, 4 bedrooms and a rec room......1060 ft 2 up and the same down......7 total) By this time next year.........(this is my New Years Resolution......and all ya'all can hold me accountable) I will be the first (and most likely last) new residential steam powered radiant system installed in the last 80 years in the state of Washington. Right now.....leaning toward one pipe vapor/vacuum.......for two reasons. 1) I UNDERSTAND hw to green it.......and #2 it will allow simplicity in piping, and with some creativity (no re-inventing the world here.....jsut beginning with the end in mind) a LOT of control and "physics" involved. 8-)
  • Eastman
    edited January 2015
    Step 1 -- Convince this guy Don on heating help to install steam...
    Check.

Progress, but one pipe is crazy. What's wrong with minitube?

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    You got him at a weak moment. Static electricity short circuited his neurons. Probably got the dog, and the cat too.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I say Go For It, Don!
  • Eastman
    Step 2 -- Make sure everybody knows the SelectTemp system was the nirvanic pinnacle of human thought and achievement.

Don, have you looked at the SelectTemp manual that Gerry posted?
  • Don_197
    I was drinking Wine that night.......obviously mini-tube is the way to go.......I just know so little about it.....and it took me so long to understand one pipe and learn the ins and outs LOL!!