Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New System.......weighing options........

Don_197
Don_197 Member Posts: 184
Hi Guys........relatively long time member here.....contractor in Spokane, WA.

I just purchased a home with scorched air.............30+ yr old furnace that I will NOT be replacing with another FA furnace. I am actually weighing hydronic vs new steam vs electric radiant. My only parameter is that IT WILL BE RADIANT!!

The home is a 1957 brick rancher, 1060 sq ft up and the same footprint in the basement. getting into the floor joists from the basement is a relative cakewalk as half the basement is unfinished and the other half has period (1950's) 10" acoustic tongue and groove tile (ICK!!) that I am gonna rip down anyway.

So......I ask you this........"if it were yours" would you go with a new steam system (I can poke piping through where the existing forced air registers are for steam baseboard radiators or panel radiators) or go hydronic staple up in the ceiling (not going to do any rau panel type stuff as I will be restoring the original hardwood floors.)) or go cheap down and dirty with ceiling electric radiant? (lots of experience using this.....can be VERY energy efficient if utilized intelligently......my biggest energy bill so far this year was 70 bucks using electric radiant in the apartment I just moved out of)

If you chose steam.....would it be a mini-tube? or what type? (I lean towards one pipe myself.....although the rads will be spensive!)

Ready.......GO!!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Is there some reason that staple-up radiant (with plates) from below won't work?
  • Don_197
    No Swei..............totally doable.......that is one option I am contemplating......
  • SWEI
    If you need plates, Radiant Engineering is just over the hill in Bozeman. Good people.
  • Don_197
    now.....are you talking about the plates that seal in the joist space or the ones that clip on to the radiant tubing at specific intervals (Ultra Fin) ??
  • Don_197
    btw.....I don't consider Bozeman to be "just over the hill" as there are 3 major passes in between us LOL!! (I have family there.....400 miles away 8-) ) But I definitely could have stuff interbranched between supply houses from there!
  • SWEI
    I've driven those passes -- in the summer. Shipping on plates can really add up. They also make 8-foot long plates, which save a bit of time (assuming you have room to use them.)
  • Don_197
    Yes...just checked.....there is a Keller Supply in Bozeman.....so interbranching won't cost me a dime 8-) Still ruminating on exactly what I want to do.....steam.....hydronic radiant....or electric radiant. Love the "idea" of steam.......
  • Don_197
    I know for a fact I would have the only NEW residential steam system in the state.......LOL!!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Always a fan of liquid sunshine (ceiling radiant) not so much the electric in my parts of the country 12 cents kw.
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 252
    I have to vote for cast iron rads...nothing beats them imo! Plus, you can dry gloves/mittens, etc. on them, warm towels, you name it. My house in PA feels like the tropics in the winter, I'd never go back to any other kind of heat as long as I'm in my zip code....
    Rads are pricey, but if you're not in a time crunch I always see lots of them go up for sale via craigslist or ebay.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Don,

You might want to consider a steam mini-tube system like @gerry gill‌ recently did.

http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/151994/new-steam-mini-tube-installation-in-ohio/p1
  • SWEI
    edited December 2014
    If you're replacing or refinishing them anyway, Gordy‌ has a point -- ceilings leave you maximum flexibility in furniture and rug placement. They also make for the most effective radiant cooling should you decide to experiment with that at some point.

The bummer for me (as a fan of historic houses) is that I have not been able to find a way to retrofit them to existing lath and plaster (either ceilings or walls.)

Panel rads and CI rads both work fabulously and (other than slab on grade) are an easy retrofit. In smaller houses and commercial (retail, restaurant) spaces, the restrictions they impose on use of wall space too often become deal-killers.
  • Gordy
    I also like the fact radiant ceilings heat the very surfaces we sit on, lay on, even walk on.

All though I have to question the design environment of the area maybe a more responsive emitter would prove more suitable than radiant all together.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,121
    edited December 2014
    I'm going to assume with radiant cooling you also need separate dehumidification?

My vote without a doubt is steam with cast iron radiators.
    Mini tube, large tube, whatever works for you. My opinion as a homeowner is forced hot air just blows. Forced hot water is a pain, can leak all over the house, needs to be bled whenever you do work to it, has pumps that can and do fail etc.

Steam once you understand it is simple, fast and effective.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Gordy
    Come on Chris you can do a better job than that at bashing hydronics. I see a lot of issues on the steam section too.
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

Come on Chris you can do a better job than that at bashing hydronics. I see a lot of issues on the steam section too.

Gordy,
    Steam is hydronic heat as well.

Honestly, I don't intend to bash hot water heat. I'd take it any day over forced hot air. It's good heat, just it has problems as well.

My preference is just steam is all.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Gordy
    Just ribin ya Chris. I think we can agree if done right either has minimal issues.

And yes depending on climate dehumidification is needed, but duct sizing is a huge step down from conventional AC, and a step up in comfort.
    ChrisJ
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Love steam but I think I'd go with staple up, then reuse duct work for AC.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    I want you to do a Select Temp mini tube. Vacuum if you want.
    3/8 two pipe with electronic TRVs imported from the UK that can call for heat.
  • Gordy
    Robert makes a good point about reusing the ductwork for AC.
  • SWEI
    The dewpoint in Spokane is generally quite low. Radiant cooling alone should work quite well.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,783
    One goal would be to heat the home with 120F or less fluid temperatures. A mix of radiant, floor, ceiling or walls, and panel rads with TRVs would be a nice option.

Many options for radiant retro fits once you determine the loads with an accurate room by room load calc.

Low temperature designs allows for condensing boiler and solar input. Or an air to water heat pump if electric rates are low.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Eastman
    Where's the glory at 120 degrees?
  • Gordy
    Your right Eastman I prefer 110* or lower when ever loads allow.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,783
    Sure, the lower the better.

120F is attainable from a quality solar thermal in most US winter climates that we have put product into.
    Its a good number to keep a reasonable COP on air to water or water to water HPs, and a good operating temperature for mod cons, one that will still allow DHW production with a plate HX!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    My ceiling radiant sees AWT of 100 most of the season. 108 on a design day. That's early 50s construction, and radiant.
  • ChrisJ
    Of course, steam allows for rapid recoveries and far less radiation. :)
  • SWEI
    We find that most retrofits have some sort of size/placement limitation in the system that ends up determining the design supply temp. The rest of the emitters get adjusted proportionally to result in a well-balanced system. Design supply temps as high as 150-160˚F still produce bucket loads of condensate from a properly commissioned mod/con.
  • Eastman
    I like what you did there Gordy.

Don, what is a xx low temperature triple niner efficiency system going to get you on a 1000 sqft install? Let's be honest, no one is interested in the station wagon, you want/need the midlife crisis rat rod.

Fastest recovery from setback, highest deltas, highest radiant energy delivery fraction, smallest EDR/tubing, phase change, vacuum --the prestige-- steam.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2014
    I think, in the end, you want a simple, relatively easy to maintain system. I'm pro steam, with rads but that is just my preference. While the home is new to you, one day, in the not so distant future, you may want to move and the heating system can't be so custom as to not be easily understood by the next (or any) person that might be called to repair/maintain it. It also can't (or shouldn't) be a liabilty as it relates to the sale of the property. Keep it simple, effecient and effective.
    SWEIRobG
  • Eastman
    What happened to Don? I want action!
  • Fred
    I don't know what happened. I thought maybe I pissed him off by suggesting simple :)
  • ChrisJ
    "Simple, efficient and effective, STEAM".

Right?
  • Fred
    You got it!
  • Gordy
    He's probably weighing the ideas from K.I.S.S to science experiment.
  • Eastman
    Tired of waiting.... starting the design phase... post back in a few...
  • Gordy
    okay get started on your science experiment Eastman.
  • Eastman
    edited December 2014
    Here it is Gordy... what do you think?

Why can't I get the image to show up here?
  • ChrisJ
    I have the same problem, just click on the image link under the message and it will pop up.

So far I see "no piping and pickup factor" so I'm liking it! :)