Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming a New Yorker Boiler

Options
Hello,

I am interested in skimming my three year-old New Yorker boiler (model: CGS50ANC-ME2), however, there doesn't appear to be a valve handy that would allow me to do this. Is that the case? If so, what's the best way to go about it? Could I remove the pressure gauge, and add a T to be able to put it back on, and also add a valve?

I've also attached a pic of the front of the boiler.

Thanks!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It looks like the installer used your Skim port for the Pressuretrol. You can use a Tee where the Pressure gauge is and move the Pressuretrol and the pigtail over to that tapping aalong with the gauge, then take the bushing out of the tapping where the Pressuretrol was and put a nipple and full port ball valve on there.
    KC_Jonesadasilva
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I looked at the manual for that boiler and the skim tapping is supposed to be on the other side, but listed in the manual as only 3/4" which is what that pressuretrol connection is. I agree with Fred go to the port the pressuretrol is in since it's available. Here is a link to the manual look at page 6 "E" is the skim tapping as mentioned on page 22 step 7.
    http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/pdf/CGS-A I&0 1-10.pdf
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • mcvetyty
    mcvetyty Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Makes sense, and sounds great. Thanks for the quick help, guys!
  • Tolik
    Tolik Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm also in the process of trying to skim my boiler. One thing I'm reading is to turn on the boiler but not let it make steam. How can that be controlled? Time how long it takes steam to produce and then shut the boiler down next time before that time?

In the manual referenced above it states "Operate sufficiently to boil the water without producing steam pressure. Boil for about 5 hours. "

How can you boil for 5 hours without steam?
  • Fred
    Options
    What you are reading is the initial clean out of the Boiler. That is not skimming. What I usually do when I skim is to let the boiler run a normal heating cycle and when that cycle is done, I shut the power off to the boiler so it can't come back on. I then wait about 20 minutes to make sure there is no more steam in the system and I proceed to skim using the skim port. That is a very slow process and takes serveral hours, probably several times if the boiler is really dirty.
  • Nysteamer
    Nysteamer Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am trying to find out if anyone ever figured out where the skim port for this boiler is? Is the pressuretrol port the one?
    Thanks
  • Fred
    Options
    Nysteamer said:

Hello everyone, I am trying to find out if anyone ever figured out where the skim port for this boiler is? Is the pressuretrol port the one?
    Thanks

Yes, it is that side tapping that they used for the Pressuretrol. They could have put the pressure gauge and Pressuretrol on the same pigtail and used the port that the gauge is mounted in for both.
  • Nysteamer
    Options
    Would it be a problem if instead I tee off the pressure gauge with a port for the skim?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Post a picture, including where your steam main is connected on the top. Back up for shots.
  • Nysteamer
    Options
    It was difficult to get a shot for this as there is a wall to the left. Hope it can help
  • Fred
    Options
    Nysteamer said:

Would it be a problem if instead I tee off the pressure gauge with a port for the skim?

That tapping has been bushed down to a quarter inch for the gauge. Way too small for a good Skim port. You could Tee off of it to add your Pressuretrol and then remove the bushing on the tapping currently used for the Pressuretrol and make that the skim port.

• Nysteamer
    Options
    Hey Fred, Thanks so much for you time. Here is another question then, can I just use a tee where the pressuretrol is and add the skim port to it?
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If the New Yorker is indeed a rebadged Burnham Independence then the skim tapping is on the right side of the boiler and should be 1-1/4” tapping, unless they bushed it down.

Update: I just looked at the manual and it appears where they have the pressure relief valve located, that’s where Burnham would have their skim tapping. So like I said it might be a 1-1/4 tapping bushes down to 3/4” for the relief valve, however if it is you’d have a really hard time removing the bushing at this point.

Also appears that New Yorker now rebadges a Crown Steam boiler.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Fred
    Options
    Is the Pressure Relief Valve mounted on the side of that boiler? If, as @Dave0176 says, it is a rebadged Burnham, it should be. In that case, the easiest way to get a workable skim port is to take the elbow off of where the PRV is mounted and install a Tee. Use the top port of the Tee for the PRV and the end port for skimming. After you skim, you can put a plug in the end or a nipple and cap and it is ready for the next time. The 3/4" tapping isn't ideal but it works as long as you skim very slowly. I have the same set up on my Burnham.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Here is a power vent Burnham I installed.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Nysteamer
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for the replies here is a photo of the other side let me know what you think.
  • Fred
    Options
    I say replace that elbow, that the PRV is mounted on with a Tee and skim the boiler. Plug or cap the end of the Tee so it is ready for the next skim.
  • Nysteamer
    Options
    Sounds like a plan, I will get on that thanks so much for the help guys I really appreciate it.
  • Nysteamer
    Options
    Hey Fred, so I ended up changing the elbow today as well as the who piece because everything to the nipple was caked up, completely blocked!. One question I had in regards to performing the actual skim. How will I be able to skim through this port if the water line is half way up on the glass. This port is even higher than the top of the sight glass? Would I need to raise the water level by manually feeding and then after Im done drain the boiler back down the line. Thanks
    Happy Thanksgiving btw to all!.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    You will need to find the right balance of feed water so it will trickle out. There are some informative YouTube videos out therr
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Yes, the waterline will have to be raised for skimming, and then lowered when finished, (each time).—NBC
  • Fred
    Options
    @Nysteamer , yes, raise the water level up until it flows out of that port, then turn the water supply down until it is just a trickle (very, very slow) as @Leon82 says. Let it trickle for at least a couple hours (more if you can) I always attach a garden hose to that 3/4" tapping and run it over to a floor drain so I don't have to stand around and empty buckets. When you are done, shut the water supply off, lower the water level down to its normal level, put a plug in the end of your tapping and power the boiler back up.
  • Nysteamer
    Options
    Thanks everyone =0)