Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunkirk 95M-200 Short Cycling

tdpoepa
tdpoepa Member Posts: 3
I'm hoping someone can provide some insight here to this strange problem - I say strange because since 2008 I have not had a year where I haven't had to deal with some issue or expense with this device. Typically the boiler will generate an error code and at least give some insight as to where the problem lies, not this time.

95M-200 one heating zone and also used for DHW

DHW works fine - boiler fires when called and cycles appropriately

When CH is called boiler continuously short cycles A-1-2-4 (runs with flame for 10-14 seconds) then purges with a code 5 or 6 continuously repeating this cycle unless DHW makes a call and then is fires up normally. NO error codes are popping up.

I can put it in test mode for both high-fire and low-fire and it runs fine. Its what got us through last night and so far today. Did I mention I live in Buffalo and that we received 100" of snow in the last 3 days and while I lucked out and wasn't hit like so many others, 50% of the available HVAC techs are snowed in and the other half are doing the work of the normal service calls which always take days to get someone even when they are 100% staffed.

Dunkirk / ECR? tech support will not let me go any further than their operator who shuts me down immediately because I am not trained/certified/etc. I get that part BUT I can't even find out if this is a known issue and if I need to call in an expert or if I can just correct something that won't violate their commitmnet to keeping service techs wealthy with Dunkirk support calls : (

I have no desire at all to once again turn this into a science project for some Dunkirk certified HVAC tech to try to figure it out. I've already had a bunch of them over the years - they all say they can fix it and then afterwards say that they don't sell them anymore because everyone has the same issues with keeping them running.

Can anyone tell me if they have run into this condition before and if it something that can be easily corrected???

Thx!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Personally, I've been in this business over forty years and I've never met a "wealthy" service tech. The reason ECR won't go any further with you is because you don't have the training, expertise or tools needed to service the boiler. Try calling the manufacturer of your auto asking for guidance on tearing down its automatic transmission and you'll probably get about as far as you did with ECR.
    You may not have realized it, but just about every pro that contributes here is a service/installation tech and/or designer. And we gladly do it for free to help folks like yourself directly or indirectly. And none of us is wealthy or in cahoots with the manufacturers.
    The only thing that I can suggest that may help you is to remove the wires going to the outdoor sensor from the low voltage terminal board of the boiler. It sounds like the sensor may be bad. This should cause the boiler to fire to 180* if that's the problem.
    Beyond that, you'll have to get one of those over-worked, not so wealthy techs from your area.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • tdpoepa
    You should come to Buffalo, they seem to do pretty well here. Joking aside, I have to disagree - if the service engine soon light comes on in my car I can take it to any auto parts store and free of charge they will tell me what the problem is. If it's the transmission you are right, it would go to an expert. If it's a dirty air filter I have the tools to handle it and be back on the road. I was just asking if anyone had seen this before in this model and if it was an air filter or tranny issue.

I apologize if I hit a nerve, I appreciate what you do on this site and I let my aggravation get the best of me. I've been through 6 years of nothing but trouble with this unit and I have have played by the rules and called in professional help each time including its installation. It's still broke. I wish I could get my money back.

I unhooked the sensor last night and unfortunately it didn't help. I was thinking the same thing.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Some problems take longer than others to ferret out. I just solved a two year old problem by turning over rocks till I found the answer hidden under one of them. As aggravating as it it is to go through something like this, you end up understanding how it operates far better than you ever would otherwise.

In the end Tim confirmed my diagnosis and the beast is purring like a kitten.

Keep turning over those rocks,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Ironman
    What signals the boiler to fire for CH? Pump panel, ZV panel, ZV end switch?
    Bob Boan
  • tdpoepa
    I only have one zone for the building. The thermostat goes right into the T1 and T2 lugs on the control panel. We shorted it out last night to make sure the wire wasn't bad or the thermo acting flaky.
  • Ironman
    edited November 2014
    That would have eliminated anything outside of the boiler. The fact that it fires OK on a domestic call eliminates any faulty sensors, LWCO, etc. It sounds like the ignition control or the wiring harness.
    Has this boiler been retro-fitted with the "WorGas" kit?
    Bob Boan