Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Has anyone seen one of these?

dajamusic Member Posts: 1
I'm trying to replace my gas boiler/heater, but I'm a bit confused. I have zoned - baseboard hot water heating. The tag on the unit says "steam heat" (see attached) but I always thought it was just hot water. Some pipes were cut (see attached) before I bought the house. Can anyone tell if it was converted to hot water heat only?


  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Many boilers are rated for either steam or hot water. In the case of steam, the rating is given in square feet. In the case of water, it's in BTU -- or, in this case, mBTU. The only differences really are in the trim -- gauges, pipes, controls -- on the boiler. From what's left of the pipes looks like hot water... I hope...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    It's a hot water boiler. The pipes that are cut are your old domestic water pipes. Your boiler used to supply you with your hot water for bath and hand washing and such. Now you have a stand alone water heater.