Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Room Setup (DHW/ODR/DD Dilemma)

Options
Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 427
I need a little insight with this. I have a couple of options. I am not interested in adding a Logamatic to this just for the sake of being able to ramp the boiler up to 180* during a call for DHW as this is the only feature that'd be utilized and I'd be wasting the money. But I am curious if I can otherwise achieve just that feature with other aftermarket items? So for a break down Zone Valve control boxes with handle the two manifolds with actuators. All of the pumps will be control by a switching relay box.(A light schematic is drawn but on another computer at the moment) This boiler can run at 122*F and the baseboards on the main and 2nd floor have been designed to run at avg. water temp of 130*F on design day. Main questions.... Can I utilize a FuelMizer ODR to get this system to 180*F for DHW calls but still set the design temp for approx 140-145*F? If not can it be set for the temp and then I would just upsize the indirect to suite the derated values of 145*F boiler water? Is using a ODR to drop the temp from 145*F -> 122*F going to generate much savings in the long run?
Sorry for being all over the place but I guess in short the two options are (and how to best achieve it)
1) indirect @ 180F & ODR for DD of 145*F
2) indirect @ 145*F DD & ODR for DD

Also the Indirect will use the direct tappings on the boiler since most switch relays now have options to override the primary pump with an indirect call for heat. The Boiler room is the only remaining portion of this so anything can be changed at his time. Thank you everyone who even took the time to read the my vomiting of words onto this post.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Why are you choosing a boiler that has 3 times the output of your load? The smallest G115/3 would be more than sufficient.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Hilly
    Options
    Well the boiler was no cost and on site. But there is a garage that has another 12K with the door closed.... It is a possibility that a fan coil could go out there. But yes even with that the 115/3 would be succifcient. So to down size to another boiler that is still oversized for $xK cost how long would it take to recoup that. The 215 is free... Now we could talk about a resell to somebody else and downsize today... But for now (unless it's believed that the downsizing is the smartest thing hands down) I still would like to figure out the first option since it will come into play regardless.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    You may want to consider adding a buffer tank to prevent short cycling. You only need the 43k btu's at design temp. At 35-40* outside you need half that. See the issue?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Buderus frowns heavily on down firing. It will condense and then you will have issues galore. I have seen several used G115 on CL.
  • Hilly
    Options
    Kcopp the 215 is designed for 122*F supply and they have no min. Return water temp as long as the 122*F can be obtained with 10 mins of firing.
  • Hilly
    Options
    Anyone able to help hash this one out? Or is it a bad idea from the start?