Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem: long distance outside from gas meter to gas furnace

Options
lforward
lforward Member Posts: 1
We are trying to switch to a gas furnace and water heater. An exterior gas pipe runs from our newly installed gas main in the front of the house down the side of the house and around the corner to the back of the house and in where our furnace is located. It is a long exterior gas pipe.
When my wife and I examined the installation the next day, we were not at all pleased at how ugly this thing is but her main concern is how the pipe does not look child friendly at all. Our friend's kids will just hang off them and use them as monkey bars. This pipe is held by clamps about 4 inches away from the house.
We are not accepting this and we need a solution. Can outdoor gas pipes be installed tight to the house foundation say just under the siding - we would be okay with that if they didn't stick out away from the house.
Also, is it possible to have underground gas lines between the gas main/meter and into the house to the furnace?
I of course will be checking with the contractor but just like to hear other opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I am just a homeowner, but my first question is...why didn't they run the line inside the house? I think the only time I have seen what you describe is when an outdoor grille is being installed and the line NEEDS to be outside. On the surface this sounds like the lazy way out,. I hope a pro comments to you about the codes and what can be done because I agree this sounds terrible.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    In all fairness, without seeing what's been done it's difficult to make a judgment. It sounds like the contractor used split ring hangers which is a perfectly acceptable practice. They may have been necessary to avoid obstacles that would have required too many fittings in the line.

Did they use black iron pipe and paint it?

As far as " kid proofing" goes : that's a parents job, not a contractor's - though ordinary care should be exercised. This spoken by someone who has seven children and four grand children.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.