Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How long should I wait for an emptied steam boiler to cool before adding new cold water

Options
sreja
sreja Member Posts: 175
edited November 2014 in Strictly Steam
A Large steam boiler (40-60 gallon capacity) was hot and generating steam.
It was turned off and drained completely.

Now the question: How long should I safely wait for it to cool before I can refill it with cold water?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    The water coming in is at about 50 degrees, you don't wand to flood that into a hot boiler. Wait until it's just very warm, not hot, and then fill it slowly so the iron does not get shocked.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • sreja
    Options
    That's my problem -- I don't have a good idea of how long it will take such a large piece of metal to go from hot to warm and it's all insulated so not so easy to just reach out and touch to feel. That's why I'm looking for some kind of estimate of how long I should wait..
  • sreja
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I waited a few hours and until everything i could lay my hands on was luke warm.

hi nbc!! long time no see. I can't say i love the new format of the forum here, but as long as you and the others and the old content is still here, i'm happy!

no we didn't dig up the mystery leaking return, just living with it as best we can.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    As long as the fill is piped correctly, and its not making steam…a slow fill in my opinion is ok…As some people call them, automatic water feeders, i call them low water backups….They fill on demand and they don’t care what the temp of the boiler is..Me I don’t like them…A boiler and especially steam boilers need looking at….
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    j a said:

As long as the fill is piped correctly, and its not making steam…a slow fill in my opinion is ok…As some people call them, automatic water feeders, i call them low water backups….They fill on demand and they don’t care what the temp of the boiler is..Me I don’t like them…A boiler and especially steam boilers need looking at….

I agree, I've very slowly filled a hot boiler with cold water, it's PITA, but it'll have to do until you pipe it into your water heater.

I don't care for water feeders either, I've only installed two, one a customer requested it, the other was an apartment building.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......