Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peanut oil

Options
Steam_Starter
Steam_Starter Member Posts: 109
Curious. Getting ready for the holidays. I'm a big deep fried turkey kinda guy. From last two turkey frys I have about 5 gallons of clean peanut oil left over. Rather than dig a hole and dump it, think I can send it into my oil tank for my oil furnace? I have about half a tank of heating oil now....

Just wondering if it could be used as a "bio fuel" of some sort.

Thanks all !
"Hey, it looks good on you though..."

Comments

• Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I think peanut oil is considered a type of vegetable oil and as such might not be good in your oil burner. That's just a gut feeling on my part so wait for the pros to chime in.
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Thanks doc. Digging a hole and dumping it is easy but the darn dog always finds the spot behind the shed and starts excavating ! Just wondering if it's feasible

Standing by...
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Thanks again.. I'll check it out along with any additional comments that come up.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    sure fire way to clog up your burner. its not refined. You may just want to take it to a restaurant that has fryolaters...They have bins for dumping that into.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    I know a mechanic where I used to work. Smart dude from New Zealand he is. Those Kiwi's can be known for their careful spending habits. Its in their genes. He has an older Japanese pick-up truck with a diesel engine. He's been collecting and running it on cooking oil for years. he says it runs great. And the free fuel makes it run even better. He says it doesn't have the NUTS that regular diesel does, but it gets him where he needs to go consistently.

You can always tell something running on cooking oil. You think your standing downwind of a McDonalds kitchen.

He has LP gas where he lives.
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Well I decided not to do it. Dug a hole behind shed and dumped it. Covered it up. Now dog is looking at me pie-eyed and salivating....
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Options
    He will get over it. LOL
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

Well I decided not to do it. Dug a hole behind shed and dumped it. Covered it up. Now dog is looking at me pie-eyed and salivating....

Go find a squirrel the dog will forget about the oil.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    LMFAO - true.

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    depends on how much vegetable oil you add to diesel or heating fuel,I would think. I can't see 1% hurting.
  • Steam_Starter
    Options
    Now you tell me! Damn dog smells like the planters peanut man !

Lol
  • CapeCodOilGuy
    CapeCodOilGuy Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Diesel vehicles whose owners use unrefined vegetable oil, used fryer oil, etc., have a set-up which allows the engine to be started and warmed up on Diesel, then switched over to the veggie oil. It must be switched back to Diesel for several minutes before being shut down, otherwise the veggie oil will congeal in the injectors and injector lines, making starting impossible. This is not practical in a high-pressure oil burner, and I would be concerned about the propensity for vegetable oil to coke up the burner nozzle on shutdown-even in small concentrations. Also, I would be concerned about the ability of vegetable oil to encourage bacteria/algae growth in the tank. The low-pressure atomizing burners (Williams Oil-O-Matic, Winkler, etc.) had a much larger nozzle opening supplied with low-pressure oil and low-pressure air-and at shut-down, the oil cut off before the compressed air, allowing the air to blow remaining oil out of the nozzle as the motor spooled down. Early ads (1920's) for the Williams touted their ability to burn vegetable oil, heavy residual oil, etc., and this feature is why they could do so without coking up the nozzle. (Interesting that by the late 20's, the ads stopped mentioning vegetable oil......)
    kcopp
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Waste Oil burners use that same Low Pressure technology.