Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McClain still locking out

Options
inspkerr
inspkerr Member Posts: 23
i have a 20 year old gv-3 that is prone to locking out. I'm now leaning twords the controler its a united 1013-100 probably the original control, the boiler has a new gas valve ,burner cone and 6-month old igniter, I've vacuumed out the bottom of the combustion chamber and also cleaned the top of the chamber when I had the blower and fan off and checked the fan and motor. it still does the same thing it gos through the sequence and hangs up on the final red light for valve then that light starts flashing and i'm in lockout. Wouldn't this point to an controler or igniter problem? wouldn't the progression through the sequence - the purge the proving of draft eliminate a fan , blower , vent problem? and the condensate trap is clean and full of water and the hose is not plugged, the vents 15' long with two 90s

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
    Options
    When the valve light comes on do you have power to the gas valve? If you do and the valve is not opening then the valve is bad. If there is no power to the valve then the board is bad. The replacement board for that is a 1013-200 boards.
  • inspkerr
    Options
    not sure,I'll check, it is a very exspensive new - 6month old gas valve, but I think I'll find power to the valve but it dosent seem to hold power to the valve for very long, I think its suppose to hold power to the valve for 2 sec. and its not, also sometimes it fires off fine ???
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Connect meter to gas terminals
    turn off gas valve
    Set thermostat to call for heat
    Igniter should glow for about 20 seconds
    24V should show at gas valve for about 6 seconds then return to 0

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't know which series GV boiler you have, but if it is 20 years old, it might be a Series 1 or Series 2. There were problems with the control and it was replaced by another number. The old control made it act like yours, dropping out on safety. I don't know of any 20 year old Series 1 0r 2 that still have the original control.

Changing the control usually stops it. If it is a Series 1 or 2 with only one circulator, and the mixing valve, the mixer is most likely failed, it can not be repaired with new parts, there is a repair, and when the valve is broken and allowing the boiler to stay cold, they have been known to not fire off consistently.

Tim can most likely tell you the number. It came as a replacement kit with everything you needed to exchange it. No cutting wires, all new connectors.
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    Ice, he has GV3 series 2.
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    Knock on wood... My GV4 S2 has the original board.
  • inspkerr
    Options
    Thanks you guys ,I think I'll start with the controller
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    1. Connect meter to gas terminals.
    2. Turn off gas valve.
    3. Set thermostat to call for heat.
    4. Igniter should glow for 20 seconds.
    5. 24V should show on meter for 6 seconds then return to 0.