Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dig up wet return or install condensate return pump?

Options

I have a two pipe gravity system with two seperate zones, one serving each side of the building , on one zone the wet return is under floor and are rotted out , I would like to install a condensate receiver tank to return from that zone, can I do it ?
I know I need to add end of main trap on steam main for pumped condensate side of building, do I have to do anything else to the system or other zone, can I leave it gravity and just make sure I control pump pressure from new pump as so it has little effect on the gravity zone?
Can I let the pump cycle on its own float based on condensate?

My other option is to tear up old vinal ties (could be asbestos), tear up a carpet, take down a 10' wall, jack hammer 24' of floor, replace pipe, cement floor and rebuild wall?
any input will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Rick

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Are the tiles 8x8s? I did a underground return replacement. Wasn't that bad. was approximately 30 some feet of 2-1/2". ended up sleeving the pipe with 4" pvc. Why do you have to take down the wall? can't you just dig underneath the wall? I'd prefer to keep the system simple and avoid pumps and just use gravity.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Can you run that return back higher as a dry return, and then drop down to wet next to the boiler?
    If you use pumps, you will need a tank for each zone, to avoid over filling I would think.
    Go with gravity if at all possible.--NBC
  • RWTarpey
    RWTarpey Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Abracadabra,
    The wall is about 14" deep,used as a pipe chase and the pipe runs in the middle the length of it.
    Tiles are 12 x 12 and I found out they were put in in 80s, they most likely are not asbestos. I will have a piece tested at the customers request.
    I may have to have the cement tested to, building was built in 1926.
    I am leaning towards digging and keeping the system simple.
    Thank you for your feedback.
  • RWTarpey
    Options
    NBC,
    Going up was my first thought, but it would trap condensate as the end of the main and condensate returns are lower than a ceiling I would have to cross.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Do I assume that there is a very good reason why you can't run the new wet return just above floor level?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RWTarpey
    Options
    Jamie,
    Yes, It would have to cross a bathroom entrance, the main hallway to the kitchen and down the middle of the hall infront of a large walk in safe. The safe is next to the boiler room and all pipes and wiring go around it to the left side and into the boiler room. The failed wet return is 20' to the right side and runs under the cement infront of safe, to the left and into BR.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    You would only have to go underground at those points, to make it work.--NBC
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Consider renting an electric or hydraulic slab saw (or if you can really ventilate well, a small gas one.)

What size is the line? Any chance it could be pulled with a bursting head?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    To answer your question, yes you could..but you had better make sure in addition to an f&t for the steam main, that each and every radiator trap works (you said its two pipe)..thats alot of trap and they all have to work..course they were supposed to have worked anyways..not sure how far a condensate pump can pump unless you can pitch that pipe..you may or may not have to put in a feed tank and have the condensate tank pump to it..i'm picturing a delay in returning condensate in my head..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• RWTarpey
    Options
    SWEI,
    The saws a good Idea.
    Its a 2" line and based on how hot the floors getting and the area covered, I believe the pipe is probably mostly rust.
  • RWTarpey
    Options
    Gerry,
    Yes they all have traps that are concealed behind finish carpentry. (Who would have thought!)
    I agree on the feed tank its a good point, I could pick up the other zone in the boiler room with that also.

Thanks
  • SWEI
    Options
    Rotted out two inch steel bursts quite easily.
  • RWTarpey
    Options
    Swei
    I am not too familiar with bursting, I have checked it out on U tube. Do I need to have a clear area to lay out the new section of pipe?
    Can bursting go around 90s?
    I am against the wall where one end of the pipe is under the concrete and the other end has a 90 on it before it enters the boiler room.
  • RWTarpey
    Options
    I should clarify the 90 is also under the cemented floor
  • SWEI
    Options
    A bursting head will handle some 45's, but not 90's. You'd have to dig the 90 up and shoot both ways from there.