Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Counterflow ?

Options
RJMCTAFO
RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
I am in the process of quoting a replacement boiler and am torn on what to do. The house is one pipe counter flow. I am undecided on which way I am going to fix the current piping. The current boiler is a 7 section 68 series using one 2" riser. ( Who would have thought the system makes all kinds of noise) Edr says I need an MST513. Was planning on piping with a 3" drop header. One of the 2" supply's is going to be fed from the top and then have a drip. The second one is currently undersized. Runs out 1 1\4 to a tee and feeds two 1 1\4 feeds. The pipe for this run has dropped at the end and is pitched away from the boiler with no drip. Should I run it 2" to a reducing tee and then dry return it back to the boiler or set it up counterflow like it was? Is there a down side to adding a dry return to one side of a system such as this?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,611
    Options
    It's as much a matter of convenience and routing as anything. The only thing to keep in mind is that a counterflow main has to be either larger or set with a steeper pitch.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England