Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mod/con retrofit

Options
hvac8
hvac8 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Gas Heating
Boiler replacement time
The time has come for me to replace my 60 year old oil fired gravity National Steel boiler. I was looking to put a mod/con in but I'm not sure retrofitting one to the pre-existing pipes/radiators would be anymore beneficial than just installing a 80% cast iron boiler. My initial sizing is based based on the pre-existing cast iron radiators (I have a manual j on the home as well that didn't take the radiators into account).

So I guess my question is what's everyones experience in retrofitting to old iron pipes/radiators or does everyone feel these boilers are more suited for copper pipes/baseboards?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    hvac8 said:

So I guess my question is what's everyones experience in retrofitting to old iron pipes/radiators or does everyone feel these boilers are more suited for copper pipes/baseboards?

You have one of the best scenarios for a mod/con retrofit. We do these regularly. The high mass of the large pipes and c.i. rads mates up excellently with a mod/con.

The key is finding a COMPETENT hydronics pro to do the job right.

Try the contractor search on site. If that doesn't yield results, try posting: "Need a Hydronic Contractor in [your locality]" on the main wall.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Rich_49
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    And if they tell you that you need to rip out all the big old pipes and replace it with 1/2 Spaghetti PEX with homerun manifolds with big pumps, call someone else until you find someone that understands how hydronics and gravity works.

Be sure to insulate every pipe you can get at, WELL.

IMO
    Ironman