Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast baseboard heating

I have a brand called radiantrim with a pin hole leak. I can not find any brands that the pipes match up to. my top hole is 2 3/8 from top edge and governale does not even come close to that. is there anyone with old stock or any suggestions such as can I weld or epoxy this pin hole.

Comments

• kennethcoder
    kennethcoder Member Posts: 7
    this radiantrim is a baseboard heater 24" right end section with a 14 foot run
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Is the pinhole in a place that you could drill and tap it and use a countersunk plug? Is the casting thick enough?
  • kennethcoder
    I don't know the thickness but is this hole due to the inside rotting or should that just be a weak spot is the cast?
  • kennethcoder
    the pinhole is in the indentation of the horizontal line across the unit
  • RobG
    It should not be rotting as there should be no oxygen in the system to allow rust to take hold. Can you post a photo of it? I am assuming this is a hot water system, not steam?
  • kennethcoder
    working on a photo. be a little while
  • kennethcoder
    can you see any hope of this being fixed
  • kennethcoder
    this is a photo of one that I replaced last year. it was a stand alone unit so I had no trouble using a different brand
  • RobG
    The one you replaced looks like it leaked in the same area. Looks like a poor casting. You can try and epoxy it. Just make sure the clean it down to bare metal.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited October 2014
    Your "Radiant Trim" looks like Burnham "Base-Ray" to me. It looks old.

The one thing you need to remember about steel and cast iron, it one time in its life, it was a powder. It spends the rest of its life trying to return to the powder it once was. Also known as RUST. A form of Oxidation.

http://www.usboiler.net/product/baseray-baseboard-radiator.html
  • RobG
    It's not Base-ray, look at the connection location. Looks similar though.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    RobG said:

It's not Base-ray, look at the connection location. Looks similar though.

You're right. Its like the American Standard CI baseboard. The stuff without the top wet leg.

Try to find a used piece of that stuff for a leaking repair. Especially if it is a 12" or 18" end piece. Then, there are the end covers.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,363
    Does the system have leaks on it anywhere else?

The fact that two of them failed is an indication of oxygenated water which would be due to fresh makeup water constantly being introduced because of a leak(s). If that's the case, and you don't fix the leak(s) immediately, there's gonna be a lot more failures - including your boiler.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.