Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendations re. vapor barrier

agurkas
agurkas Member Posts: 238
So while I was measuring steam pipes to be reinsulated in my crawlspace, I have discovered that vapor barrier was a cheap plastic tarp that is falling apart. So I have to bite the bullet and get it done right. I want to convert from (poorly) vented to unvented crawlspace.

I was not able to find any kind of proper vapor barrier at Home Depot. Where can I get like a 10 mil or higher proper vapor barrier? I need to cover 20'X24' space plus ride up like 5', so I can attach it above foundation.
Any place online you would recommend?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,559
    I usually use my local insulation contractor for that kind of product. By code, plastic left exposed in a crawl space needs to have a low flame spread rating. How is the radon level in your area sometimes tightening spaces has unintended consequences.
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • agurkas
    There is already radon mitigation system in place for the basement (700CFM HRV). I would likely extend that or build new one.
    I don't really know any local insulation contractors or supplyhouses. Plus they don't like DIYers anyway.
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    TRM manufacturing has flame retardant 10 mil poly. It is available on Amazon with free ship.
    agurkas
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    There are some things that maybe should be left to professionals. You have a ventilated crawl space for the Radon Mitigation. Are you going to eliminate that with a unvented crawl space? How do you keep the Radom Mitigation working without make-up air?

Sometimes, when trying to save money, you spend a lot more. I recently had more insulation installed in the attic of my Condo. It was blown in. I could have saved some small amount and killed myself doing it. Maybe fell through the ceiling while balancing on bottom truss chords. I would have had to do this my myself with attic temperatures going well over 100 degrees. It would have taken me days.

We don't discuss pricing. I don't consider this pricing. I could go to a big box store and rent a machine that you throw a bale of compressed blown in insulation. I would have had to rent the machine and a truck to deliver it. Rent it for multiple days, and trips for the insulation. Blah, Blah, Blah. I got two prices to do the job from professional insulation contractors. For $1700, two guys came with a large truck with self contained blowers, hoses, lights and everything needed to do the job. They were there for 3 hours or less. They did all the required code issues with recessed ceiling lights, and added the equivalent of R-30 to what was already there. As they left, I asked them how many more jobs they were going to that day. Twelve. They were going to a 12 unit Condo with block fire walls between units. It was 95 degrees when they left. I found two $20.00's on the ground and gave it to them. They were grateful. I know it was done properly.

I'm not dead from heat exhaustion and a heart attack.

Massachusetts code changed and required every piece of heating and potable water hot water piping to be covered and insulated. Nice job. But we couldn't buy the insulation for what some Insulation Contractors would do it for.

Be careful you don't step over ten dollar bills to pick up dimes.
  • agurkas
    icesailor, I understand and agree with your point, but I am not the usual DIYer. I built two lake houses over weekends with my dad from foundation by the time I was 18 :-) I fix my own cars, I have built server rooms, etc. etc. etc. There are majority of things I have pros do (things that require know-how), but there are other things I choose to do, because I want the satisfaction of having it done myself. Those usually are low margin jobs contractors don't want anyway.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    @agurkas:

When I got married in 1963, my wife and I built our first house. I did everything I could except the wiring. I built the foundation.

In 22 months starting in 1970 to 1972, my wife and I built a 5 bedroom cape style house after work and vacations from my full time job as a plumber. Not one thing hired out. In 1984, we built a custom three bedroom house, shop and 3 stall barn as part of it. I had it framed because I had a business. I still plumbed, wired and finished it. It was cheaper to hire someone to frame it. It was way cheaper to have someone come in and blue board and skim coat plaster it. I still finished the whole house inside.

When I worked for my old dead boss and work got slow, he would have me renovate something. Like the entire first floor of his old house. I had the skills to do it. So did he. But his time was better spent keeping me busy and productive while he kept the rest of the crew busy making money for him.

A good friend/competitor once commented about customers and how much they cared. Especially in "Crazy Times".

If you dropped dead in front of them (A customer), they would step over your body to get to the phone so they could call someone else to come finish the job. Not until they found someone to come and finish the job, would they come and check to see your condition and call 911. Many General Contractors are just like that too.

He's right.

Ever watch that reality Show, "Flipping Las Vegas" about a couple that fix up and flip houses in Las Vegas? The guy has a serious case of "The Cheap Genes" and acts like every dime taken is food right out of his stomach or off his table. How he gets anyone to work for him is beyond me. His wife is the opposite. She is a decorator and knows that you can't get good money for cheap. HE must have some other redeeming quality because most women I know wouldn't put up with him unless they are abused women.

Figure out what it will cost you for the materials and how long it will take for you to install it properly and completely. Subtract the difference of someone being hired to do it.
  • agurkas
    I hear ya. This project I am very likely the one doing it.
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Flipping Vegas :) I watch it. I think his tyrannical rants are mostly for effect in the show. Adding entertainment value. I find it hard to believe he gets the contractors to work for such low prices.