Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to buy black iron pipe

2»

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2016
    Went to HD yesterday for some Ant traps, went down the plumbing isle to look at the black pipe fittings even though I will order most of the fittings from supplyhouse when I install my new boiler.
    As I was looking at the black pipe, the plumbing associate came over and inquired if I needed assistance- I replied that I was just getting ideas for my near boiler piping. He offered the following unsolicited advice:
    "Black pipe is only for gas lines, you have to use galvanized pipe for your boiler piping. Black pipe will rust if used to carry water."
    Does HD corporate know these associates give out this kind of misinformation?

• Jack M
    Jack M Member Posts: 229
    edited March 2016
    What steel is included in the above boiler piping kits that boiler companies offer? Are those fittings and pipe sections decent?

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    Jack M said:

What steel is included in the above boiler piping kits that boiler companies offer? Are those fittings and pipe sections decent?

The wye is nice but the rest is undersized.
    Personally, I'd never buy that from Burnham no matter how nice that wye is. They run a 2" header on a boiler that should have a 3" or even 4"
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jack M
    Jack M Member Posts: 229
    edited March 2016
    ChrisJ said:

Sizing aside, what about the quality of the fittings and pipe? Domestic?

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,635
    NY_Rob said:

Went to HD yesterday for some Ant traps, went down the plumbing isle to look at the black pipe fittings even though I will order most of the fittings from supplyhouse when I install my new boiler.
    As I was looking at the black pipe, the plumbing associate came over and inquired if I needed assistance- I replied that I was just getting ideas for my near boiler piping. He offered the following unsolicited advice:
    "Black pipe is only for gas lines, you have to use galvanized pipe for your boiler piping. Black pipe will rust if used to carry water."

That's scary.

I was in lowe's looking for something in particular in black pipe to finish a gas line project while in my work uniform.

They didn't have it; which is just as well, but the Lowe's employee working that section said: "use galvanized, it's all the same. BTW, I'm a licensed plumber. Is your company hiring? This gig is just temporary."

I thought, "gosh, it's gonna be a loooong tempory gig with that knowledge base!"
    SWEI
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2016
    SlamDunk said:

NY_Rob said:

That's scary.

I was in lowe's looking for something in particular in black pipe to finish a gas line project while in my work uniform.

They didn't have it; which is just as well, but the Lowe's employee working that section said: "use galvanized, it's all the same. BTW, I'm a licensed plumber. Is your company hiring? This gig is just temporary."

I thought, "gosh, it's gonna be a loooong tempory gig with that knowledge base!"
    @SlamDunk
    From what I recall galvanized pipe is allowed for natural gas in many if not most areas. It is allowed by IPC and UPC.

Can you tell me what says it isn't?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC-2012) under Section 403.4.2 for steel and wrought-iron pipe:

403.4.2 Steel. Steel and wrought-iron pipe shall be at least of standard weight (Schedule 40) and shall comply with one of the following standards:
    ASME B36.10, 10M;
    ASTM A 53/A53M; or
    ASTM A 106.

Nothing about not using galvanized. Nothing in UPC or IPC as well. Some utility providers require the use of black pipe. Here in Illinois, Ameren requires black pipe. Peoples Gas (city supplier) also specifies either the use of black pipe or CSST. Not sure about Nicor.
    Tinman
  • ChrisJ

International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC-2012) under Section 403.4.2 for steel and wrought-iron pipe:

403.4.2 Steel. Steel and wrought-iron pipe shall be at least of standard weight (Schedule 40) and shall comply with one of the following standards:
    ASME B36.10, 10M;
    ASTM A 53/A53M; or
    ASTM A 106.

Nothing about not using galvanized. Nothing in UPC or IPC as well. Some utility providers require the use of black pipe. Here in Illinois, Ameren requires black pipe. Peoples Gas (city supplier) also specifies either the use of black pipe or CSST. Not sure about Nicor.

I don't have my books here but was able to find this real fast for NY.

I'm almost positive I saw it listed for UPC and IPC.

• ChrisJ
    edited March 2016
    Actually,

@Abracadabra

ASTM A 53/A53M spec is : Standard Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and Seamless

Obviously local code trumps this as well as what the provider requires. I personally did all black pipe because it's the norm.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Peoples Gas (Chicago natural gas supplier) construction guide, pg. 63

• SlamDunk
    @SlamDunk
    From what I recall galvanized pipe is allowed for natural gas in many if not most areas. It is allowed by IPC and UPC.

Can you tell me what says it isn't?

no, i cant.

I have never seen galvanized pipe used for natural gas, and I choose not to mix galvanized with black. It is tacky.

But, it is also tacky not to know the code. My bad.

• ChrisJ
    I agree mixing is tacky.

There was a lot of galvanized gas piping in my house, not sure how old though or what it was for. Maybe a stove in the kitchen, or maybe gas lights.

It was very, very old.

@Abracadabra You don't have to yell man. ;)
  • SlamDunk
    I did look it up. My county in NC allows "homeowners to add their own natural gas pipe as long as it is black malleable iron or flared copper tubing. CSST must be installed by certified CSST installer".

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    I live in a coastal community, and when we started getting gas here, I checked up on it and found galvanized is back in the code book. I then checked with the gas company and they also said it was ok to use. So, every gas job I do is in galvanized pipe. Around here, the black pipe looks terrible in no time at all, but the galvanized stays looking good. It costs a little more, but not much, and is definitely worth it to me.
    I think I might be one of maybe two around here that actually does use it.
    The original galvanizing was really flaky and caused problems with gas valves, but the new stuff doesn't. I believe old pipe was cold galvanized and new pipe is hot galvanized, but not sure.
    Rick
    ChrisJ
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Galvanized pipe made in the USA many years ago had a flaking problem and that was corrected. Now most big box stores carry galvanized pipe from anywhere but the USA and it is again being reported the issues with faking inside. I use galvanized pipe made in the USA, ONLY. And never have issues with flaking or clogged orifices.