Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main and branches pipe size question

heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
My old water heating system is a one zone reverse return system. There is no branch. All pipes are 1" except these sections connect to the CI baseboards. They are 1/2".

Now I am adding 2 more zones. I have bought all pipes and fittings which are 1". I just realized that I am going to have branches now. And all branches have the same pipe size as the main. It sounds no good.

My question is what will happen if branches have the same pipe size as the main? It will still work? Partially work?

Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    How is it piped? How is it pumped? Controlled?
    In all likely hood, you'll have problems, especially if it's piped direct return. You may need to add balancing valves.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • heatingFun
    reverse return, circulator in supply side.
  • Ironman
    Are you using circ's on each zone?
    A diagram would be helpful.
    Bob Boan
  • heatingFun
    edited October 2014
    yes, each zone has a criculator.

These circulators are taco 007 with flow check valve. The boiler is Burnham Alpine 105 gas boilder and 5 yrs old. It is big enough, i think, because at that time the 3 zones was planned already.

• heatingFun
    diagram is here.
  • Ironman
    The rads that you're showing (not the BBs), are they CI rads or panel rads?
    Bob Boan
  • heatingFun
    All are CI baseboards, or panel radiator. They are called #9 CI baseboard from WeilMcLain.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I'm not questioning your piping. Your drawing is hard to understand.

For what you have described and done, I have always piped "Parallel Reverse returns". For the balancing ability. Every "Parallel Reverse Return piping arrangement I have ever piped, no matter how hard I tried, has a place where there are three pipes in parallel. The only way I have ever seen where there are only two pipes is on a direct return.

See these piping views. Every one of them shows 3 parallel pipes at some point in the zone or system.

First In, First back is NOT a reverse return. First in, last back is a reverse return. That's where you end up with the three pipes in parallel.

At least it always was when I ran them.

JMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=parallel+reverse+return+piping&biw=1093&bih=434&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Ios9VMbNItiTgwTg64HICw&ved=0CC8Q7Ak