Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Oil Seperators

TechmanTechman Posts: 2,144Member
Outta what comes outta a comp discharge line, how much oil goes down the discharge line as compared to how much oil goes back to the compressor thru an Oil Seperator? ? I'm trying to figure out how soon two 15hp comps will die. This is on a brand new system, so I'm trying to figure out how much of the oil will go down the discharge line to the remote air cooled cond coil and not return, in "per hr" amounts I guess. I am just a casual observer here, I am not involved in any way,shape ,or form.

Comments

  • pecmsgpecmsg Posts: 1,050Member
    Every system is different as are the piping practices so it's difficult to say.
    At one of the Copeland / Tecumseh classes I remember being told “guestimate 90% of the oil going to the separator will be trapped and returned to the sump. The other 10% will be taking the long road back.”
  • TechmanTechman Posts: 2,144Member
    Thanks Paul , thats a start.
  • TechmanTechman Posts: 2,144Member
    edited October 2014
    This is what I found out. On a 15t system w/ a 15* evap temp,110* cond temp the amount of freon pumped by the comp is about 1,790 lbs/hr, the comp typically pumps oil at 1% ,so, 17.9 lbs of oil per hr goes into the seperator,so, that means the conventional oil seperator returns 90% of the oil back to the comp crankcase and pumps 10% (1.79) lbs/hr out into the discharge line.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!