Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boot dryer

Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,609
I am trying to design a system that will help dry wet ski boots in lockers. Each boot would have a flexible 3/4" plastic pipe going into it. There would likely be as many as 36 boots on each fan.
The initial thought is to use a PVC pipe header and a Radon fan to push the air.
I am having trouble figuring out the required flow rate and resistance of the 3/4" tube.
The job is at 11,000 feet so air density is another factor.
The room will have an ERV controlled for both occupancy and humidity. There is no need for heat as part of this system.

Thank you in advance,
Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    My plug in electric boot dryer which works great soaking wet leather boots to dry by morning. What time frame is exceptable to dry.

My boot dryer hardly puts out any draft. But it does heat to put out some convective current in the boot.

Getting even air flow to each boot dryer may be a challenge. Especially when varying amounts of dryers being used at a time.

Unique project can not answer your question yet. allow me to inspect a proven method. be back
  • Gordy
    My boot dryer draws 42 watts. has 2" pipe, and airflow wont even make a flame dance.

So you are ony depending on ambient air temps to do the drying. Mostly air flow?
  • Gordy
    http://www.wpb-radon.com/Piping_AirFlow.html Don't know if this can help.
  • Zman
    @Gordy,
    I looked at a couple similar setups today. One was 4" x 4" x 4' box with 3 computer type fan on one side and (8) 1" x 18" corrugated plastic tubes hanging off the side. It actually worked pretty well. Really ugly and clumsy.
    The other was similar to what I am thinking of but used a really wimpy 6" duct fan.
    I think I need to treat it like a piping circuit and do an oversized header to assure proper circulation.
    I need to find the formulas to determine static pressure and then take a shot at what the design CFM should be. Right now, I am leaning towards 2 CFM at 1" WC. The fan I am looking at will produce that.
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Yes, I am trying to do it locally with just air. The Erv should really help keep the room air dry. They need to dry in a 12 hour period.

This is the graph for the fan that did not work.
    http://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_EF-Series_Duct_Booster_Specifications_8506004.pdf

The one you are looking at is similar to the one I had in mind. It is quite a bit more robust. I like that radon fans are designed to run 24/7

I've wondered how to calc air movement for a while now. This is good a time as ever to learn.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    I built a radiant hydronic boot warmer for our home in Utah. A row of 3/4 copper stub out nipples, slide the boot over. Works a lot like those small electric, slip in heaters. Less boot odor blowing around also:)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream