Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

fan assembly noise

cavalka
cavalka Member Posts: 2
I have lochnivar knight kbn151 and it is making noise from fan assembly during pre and post purge. This is when fan is at max rpms. I notice motor to fan uses isolation mounts, but doesn't help at high rpms. Any suggestion on how to fix. Is it bad fan assemble, adjustment to screws on motor mount, or is this noise expected. Noise is worst as fan starts to slow down and causes a deep bass sound.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Your noise does not sound normal. To be clear, it makes the noise when no combustion is occurring?
    Sometimes the fans are damaged when the boiler pulls in it's own exhaust causing overheating (and other dangerous conditions). How far apart are the exhaust and intake on the outside of the building? Are they installed per the manual?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • cavalka
    cavalka Member Posts: 2
    Correct. It makes the noise when no combustions is occurring. Just in the Pre and Post purge phase, which the combustion is either stopped or has yet to start. I use an existing chimney to apply a concentric venting system. The exhaust is 12" above the intake, with the intake shielded by existing chimney cap. I plan on extending the distance between the intake and exhaust to meet the manual guidelines ( I think another 6" extension). I am fairly certain the intake/exhaust venting is not causing the issue, as this is a new boiler (1 months in service) and I disconnected the intake venting, so it would just pull the air from inside house near boiler. Noise still occurred during this test. Any other suggestions. Thanks.