Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Water Additive

Options
Jeff_44
Jeff_44 Member Posts: 94
I've heard about a steam boiler additive that is rose color or pinkish. Can anyone help me with the name of this product.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sounds like your talking about steamaster.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    It sounds as though you have some definite purpose in mind which needs additives in the water.
    I would say the only reason to add anything to the water is to adjust the ph.
    If you have dirty water, or surging, the additive will not substitute for thoroughly cleaning the oils out of the boiler(skimming).--NBC
    kcopp
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Some of us started using steamaster a few years ago to control the PH levels of our boiler water. The goal is to keep the PH in the 9 area to lessen corrosion. NBC was right on the money when he said not to use it to correct for a boiler that needs a good skimming.

If you do decide to use it, after initially dosing the boiler with 4 tablets and draining all that out after bringing the system up to steam DO NOT FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATIONS for how many tablets to add for normal operation. One tablet is enough for most boilers, measure the PH before adding any more than one tablet.

If you can't get it locally it can be ordered from -

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal-68732-Steamaster-Tablet

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Do the steam tablets work better than washing soda for a general cleaning? I've wanded and skimmed multiple times....its' WAY improved, but still dirty. Would either help with the black precipitate? I'll be wanding again next week when it cools down again, but would really like this boiler clean.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    The steamaster tablets are really just to condition the water so you lessen boiler corrosion. they are not as good as washing soda in cleaning oils from the boiler.

It may take a few more sessions with the wand to get that boiler cleaned out and then a good long skim to complete the job.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    Could also be Oatey's 8-way which is a liquid version of steam master tablets.
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    Correction, not Oaty's . Rectorseal. Same manufaturer of steam master tablets but easier to get into boiler (mine at least).

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Rhomar 9150 is my cleaning agent of choice. They will sell direct to you if there is no distributor in your town.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• SlamDunk
    Options
    I think Ill try that next time. just received my 8-way. I mostly want it to scavenge O2 and clean/ kill any bacteria growing in there.