Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

COPPER FIN RADIATION

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
any comments on using pex tubing for a simple baseboard radiation job , one family ,single zone as oppossed to conventional 3/4 " m copper tube w/ soldered joints. cost efficient is a given but i am concerned with system temperatures in piping & radiation. modern builders want to cut cost of contracts to the bone. bob young nyc lic. plbr

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    PAP or Viega FostaPex is a better option. Regular pex in 3/4 is gnarly to work and expansion can be an issue.

if possible 1/2 or 5/8 is nicer to work with if it can meet the gpm requirements.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Bob Bona_4
  • bob young
    Options
    thanx, hot rod. how goes it ,brother. been a while. i just dislike the plastic tubing & especially the unprofessional installation as compared to copper. plumbers die hard !!! bob nyc
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    copper with press fittings is another option. Takes some of the labor and torch issues away.

Years ago we jumped on the rubber tube for BB systems. A breeze to install, quiet, semi insulated, great for retro-fits.

An expensive lesson learned with that early Entran rubber hydronic tube, however, as you know.

Some will tell you the current version of the "uber" engineered Watts Onix rubber is suitable for high temperature hydronics, if you like to gamble :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    More heat delivered where it matters with the PAP or Pex Bob . Been around a long time too , took awhile to get used to the idea . We gotta evolve or go the way of the dinosaur , don't see many of them anymore do you ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    hot rod said:

copper with press fittings is another option. Takes some of the labor and torch issues away.

Years ago we jumped on the rubber tube for BB systems. A breeze to install, quiet, semi insulated, great for retro-fits.

An expensive lesson learned with that early Entran rubber hydronic tube, however, as you know.

Some will tell you the current version of the "uber" engineered Watts Onix rubber is suitable for high temperature hydronics, if you like to gamble :)

We've had a kickspace heater in our kitchen for 20 years. It runs off of Entran 3 and at temps up to 180. So far, so good.
    Retired and loving it.
  • bob young
    Options
    i get the message ,rich. loud & clear. guess i am not THAT opposed , just hate the look. too much like linguine gone wild !!!! lol bob nyc
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    It can be made to look good Bob . It does take some practice though
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited September 2014
    Options
    bob young said:

i get the message ,rich. loud & clear. guess i am not THAT opposed , just hate the look. too much like linguine gone wild !!!! lol bob nyc

PAP has about the same rigidity as soft copper and can be neatly bent with a ratchet bender in the 1/2 to 3/4 sizes. You can also stub down with copper and adapt to PAP under the floor. They also have 90* Ells that transition so you can do it right at the element if you choose.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • bob young
    Options
    LOOKIN, GOOD ,RICH. HOT ROD PROBABLY DOES IT SIMILAR. AFTER SEEING A JOB LOOKING THAT GOOD I WOULD CONSIDER GIVING IT A SHOT. I THANK YOU KINDLY. ALWAYS PAYS TO TAKE A SECOND LOOK !! BOB NYC