Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Rads...or old

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
I need a new (or old) single rad for my kitchen. It can be Cast iron or steel, although I feel the CI is probably better. Thoughts? Does anyone still manufacture these? It's a tight space behind a door, but it's all that's available near the old piping. Then I'll need help figuring out how to pipe it in, but I want to find a rad first. Thanks in advance. Colleen
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• agurkas
    agurkas Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Craigslist is your friend. THere are always cast iron rads listed (at least in my area)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    And new ones can also be had. They aren't cheap.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vaporvac
    Options
    Thank you. I've been looking on craigslist for a LONG while, but the singles are apparently hard to come by. I'll keep looking, but am about to put in my new to me chambers stove which will require taking out the cabinetry temporarily, so I thought I'd try and do something about the heating at the same time.
    Anyone know who still makes rads, bot CI and steel? Are there any problems mixing the two types?
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Burnham for one -- they make a "slenderized" radiator which looks a lot like the older ones, only not ornate.

I'd stick with cast iron.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    edited September 2014
    Options
    delete
  • SwedishPimple
    SwedishPimple Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Another vote for Cast Iron. Craigslist or even eBay (local pickup) is probably your best bet. I would also check local salvage places... call around, if they don't have them ask them if they know anyone who might.

BTW... I have a couple of the (6-tube) slenderized Burnham radiators in my steam setup. I didn't buy them new... so I can't speak to cost factor, but they do work extremely well.

They seem to be far more efficient than my old Aeros and the 25" tall form factor can be handy in places where you don't want to go tall.

S.P.
    Burnham IN6 |one-pipe steam
    Boiling water for heat since 2006.
  • vaporvac
    Options
    Hello all! I have located a possible contender thanks to this thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/151649/cast-iron-rads-for-sale-near-pottstown-pa#latest
    It's the wall-hung unit with brackets. I don't know if this is a good $$$, but it will fit the space. I havent yet figured the edr, although I'm sure it's less than the original window seat model.
    My questions are thus: What should be included with this to ensure I can use it. I recall something about having both ends of the connections the same? Does this rad look complete? where can I look to calculate its EDR?
    What do I need to keep in mind as this rad will use the same inlet/outlet, but will be moved about 3-4ft left of the original position? I guess what I really want to know are what pitfalls to avoid when moving a rad. I know steam can go anywhere, but condensate is a different story.
    This rad is about 500miles from me, so I don't even know how I'll get it, but no sense even thinking about it if it won't work. Thank you, everyone.
    It will be nice not to really on the baseboard heater in the kitchen anymore.
  • keylargo1
    keylargo1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Did you ever figure how to pipe your future radiator in your kitchen? Surely someone on this forum knows how to pipe that radiator.
  • Bug512
    Bug512 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Don't know where you live but we also were looking for a used radiator, not much out there as I would assume that they have been traded in for scrap.

I will be taking a ride into Brooklyn in the next couple of weeks.

OCS Industries

They have most everything in stock.

Gene in Northern NJ
    NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600