Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Surface Igniter Dilema

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
As you may or may not know Norton Igniters (distributed by Robertshaw and White Rodgers) which were silicon carbide igniters are no longer made. If you order an igniter you will get a silicon nitride igniter replacement. The basic number for example from Robertshaw would be 41-206 the replacement would be 41-206N.

This was just brought to my attention by someone who has contacted me by e-mail for help:

Thank for your reply,, the Norton ignitor # 271Y ,, I have being replacing these ignitors from the first year of boiler use.
I have looked at the at the silicone nitride ignitors unable to find a match, The following info is what I found from a supplier of the nitride ignitors.

"DESCRIPTION: This igniter kit is designed to convert existing hot surface ignition (HSI) systems from silicon carbide (flat or spiral) to a silicon nitride igniter. This kit will not replace (direct sense igniters )or sealed combustion igniters such as Norton 271A or 271Y, Robertshaw® 41-401 or 41-406 or White Rogers® 767A-356."

The HE11 use the electronic control board united technologies #1013-100
I assume the Norton 271Y is also the flame sensor.

Further information:

Just one other note Robertshaw silicon ignitor # 41-406N which is a match for the Norton 271Y has this info

(ATTENTION: Flame sensors are required for all Silicon Nitride Ignitors. Ignitor/Sensor assembly 1751-729 (24” lead) or 1751-749 (72” lead) can be used if an existing flame sensor is not present and a terminal is available on the ignition control.)

Weil Mclain HE11
Boiler No. 1 control board 1013-100 has no separate flame sensor terminal
Boiler No.2 has a slightly different control board Gold GV #1013-200 ( this was a replacement board) which has additional terminals don't know if it has separate flame sensor terminal.

The two boards mentioned do not have any place to attach a seperate microamp flame signal connector. I am going to get in touch with Weil-McLain and also Robertshaw, White Rodgers and United Technologies to see what the solution is.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Options
    With the big shakeup at Weil McLain we may not get an answer to this problem.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Were the igniters going bad yearly? Even if there was a terminal for a flame sensor on the board were are you going to mount the sensor on a WM Gold?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options

With the big shakeup at Weil McLain we may not get an answer to this problem.

What's the "Big Shake Up" at Weil-McLain?

The Vulture Capitalists want their borrowed money back so they want to sell the company and send it to China?

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    W-M decided to let their New England employees go. They hired a rep to cover the area. That happens.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Like staffing a company with nothing but Temps, or part-timers. It makes me sick to my stomach. What are we leaving for our kids?
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    It seem to be the way all of them are going.Our carrier mid atlantic let go of all the old timer that knew their stuff to people that have no clue.I set in there last month for little over an hour to get a warranty part.Then the part was not oem it was a universal.To get back on topic i would take me a spark ignition over those toaster any day.Oh how i miss when life was much simplier..
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options

W-M decided to let their New England employees go. They hired a rep to cover the area. That happens.

That should work. Instead of waiting four hours for the NE Rep to call you back. Now, you'll wait 4 days for the Manufacturers Rep to call you back.

I see they now have a boiler casting foundry in China. How's that working out for them? As well as the Eastern European one that a boiler manufacturer was using that were so bad, I found one that they were so ashamed of, they didn't even put their name on it.

The Wall Street Crime Syndicate/Vulture capitalists started buying up American manufacturing industry long ago. Weil-McLain was no exception. They used to prominently display the Vulture entity that owned them on their web site. No more. The only money they recognize is money coming in. Any money going out is considered a loss and the same as taking food off the investors table. Or out of their wallets. "Manufacturers reps" will just be the same as insurance adjusters. They get a set fee for resolving an issue. Whatever they save, goes into the rep's pocket.

70 years ago, we bombed Germany and Japan into the stone age. We stole their technology. They were a 3rd world country. Today, we have become a 3rd world country. Using 1st world equipment that we sold or gave them.

You have to wonder.

I've found dead cottontail rabbits in the woods from so many ticks sucking the blood out of them. They died. Lack of resource blood.

• Tim McElwain
    Options
    I have not heard back from anyone on this problem. I contacted Weil McLain, White Rodgers, Robertshaw no response. EDOS rep for Honeywell agreed that Glowfly also can not be used as a flame sensor.

Discussion with Glenn Harrison not sure if White Rodgers igniter have the same problem. I am looking into it.