Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WATER ON DEMAND/INSTANT HOT WATER QUESTION

Options
ww
ww Member Posts: 282
What kind of instant hot water unit is available that uses propane that would also have a drain plug on the unit?

I need this drain plug because the heat isn't always on and when the system is drained then the pipes won't burst if it's freezing weather. Too many power outages to use electric.

Would you please help with units to use in this case with some models and applications so that I can check them out and suggestions as to what you think may work?..Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I don't know of any brand equipped that way.

Draining can simply be accomplished by using the hose connection port on the isolation valves which are an accessory that should be installed with every on-demand heater.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Well, all the ones I ever installed (Noritz) had a specific method that you had to follow to drain it. Although you could just open the ports, the manufacturer had three small plugs on the bottom that HAD to be removed. If you're leaving the building when it is cold, you must drain it? I always blew all houses out with compressed air including the water heaters. Then, I removed the three plugs. I still got a very small amount of water. A small mistake can be costly when draining beer cooler water heaters.