Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Boiler Replacement

Options
rs3819
rs3819 Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my 23 year old oil boiler in my 2800sf colonial in Massachusetts.  This time I want to add a 40 gallon indirect for extra hot water capacity.  I had 3 different companies come out to do estimates, here's what I got for recommendations:

- Quote 1 - Peerless WBV-03 w/Peerless Indirect (Family friend who owns a plumbing company)

-Quote 2 - Peerless WBV-03 w/Heatflo Indirect (Local Oil Company)

-Quote 3 -Burnham V8H w/Amtrol Indirect (Heating installation company)

Peerless seems to be decent and 2 of the 3 recommended it. The heating installation company prefers Burnham.  I read a bunch of reviews online about issues with Burnham products in the past and not so great warranty/customer service, so I am hesitant on considering them.

So I guess the question for the experts is, what's the opinion on these 2 manufacturers?  I'm also struggling with whether I should spend the extra, and consider the more efficient Burnham MPO or Peerless WB90.  The MPO seems to get good ratings but I can't find much info on that model Peerless.  The Peerless appears to have a higher efficiency rating, but I know that is dependent on many factors, including a proper install.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  I don't want to make a 20-25 year mistake! :)

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    None of the above

Anyone who recommends a single pass pin boiler isn't really aware of the way to achieve an efficient oil heating system.

1.  Triple pass boiler,make isn't really all that big a deal. Buderus,MPO,Biasi,Viessmann as well as others are all fine as long as properly sized,wired and installed.

2. Indirect

3. Some type of reset control.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Remember that what you are really buying is the competence of the installer. All of the boilers which have been mentioned are, in themselves, perfectly good units. Some folks like one, some others, just like some folks like Chevys and some like Fords.
    But. None of them will do the job properly if they are not installed properly, and none of them will keep doing it if they aren't serviced properly.
    Bottom line? Choose by the competence of the installer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    That is so true Jamie, and thank you for stating that here. As Rob said, most all 3 pass boilers are the same. They need to be sized properly, and set up with the right digital testers. You will see the savings immediately