Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hotelman

Options
We have an old hotel built in 1869, and have a cast iron radiator in one of our hotel rooms with a leak between the banks.  The radiator does not appear cracked, just leaking where the banks come together.  The radiator is 4'x 3', and they don't make this size anymore.  Is there someone near Wellsboro, PA who fixes old radiators?  Please feel free to call the Penn Wells Hotel at 570-724-2111 and ask for Tom Carleton, or our head of maintenance Jan Steiner on his cell phone at 570-337-0290.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Unless

the radiator is particularly ornate, I would look to an architectural salvage yard. Have it pressure tested before you install it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,595
    Options
    Depending on the leak

it's not impossible to fix -- in fact, it may not be that hard.  If... there are tension rods on the radiator, or if you can figure out what's holding it together, it may be possible to pry (very carefully!) the banks apart and see what is creating the leak.  It may be, depending on how the thing is put together, that there is a machined nipple which joins the sections.  They can be replaced.  If all else fails, you may be able to form a gasket using the red RTV used on auto engines.  Then put the whole thing back together.

Let us know a little more about this thing...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Pictures?

The critical factor in determining whether or not this radiator can be fixed is its construction.

Older radiators used threaded nipples to hold the sections together. These nipples were left-hand threaded on one side and right-hand threaded on the other, so when it was turned it would pull the sections together. These nipples are no longer available, and making them would be prohibitively expensive.

Newer radiators used tapered push nipples. The sections are pressed together until the push nipples are firmly seated in their sockets. Push nipples are available from Oneida County Boiler Works (Phone: 315-732-7914) or can be can easily be made from seamless mild steel tubing at your local machine shop.

If you can provide some pictures of the radiator we might be able to tell which kind you've got and what your prospects are.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • pwhotel
    pwhotel Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Pics

Here are the pics we took of the radiator and here is the information

American Radiator 21 1/2 " wide-36 " tall-9 banks-leaking between banks 1 and 2 at bottom
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Not sure on this one.

It looks like a modern thin tube radiator, but I don't see any truss rods. Radiators with push nipples use 1/4" steel rods, threaded at both ends, to keep tension on the sections to keep the push nipples from working loose.

Hopefully one of the professional steam men here will help us out. Most of them can recognize radiators on sight and will know exactly what's inside. If I had to make the determination myself I'd have to remove a fitting or an end plug and peer inside to see if the first nipple I see is round or shaped to accept a wrench of some kind, but those end plugs can be tough to get out, and I'd hate to see you introduce any more leaks than you already have.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Leaky radiator

What is your location?

I would advise looking for a good used rad to replace that one. Surely someone here has one for sale. Make sure you get one for hot water or 2-pipe steam, as the end plugs are very difficult to remove.

Check your boiler settings and make sure that the pressure is not going over 6 ounces, and the rest of the radiators will not join the leakers brigade!--NBC
  • hotelman
    hotelman Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Leaking radiator

The Penn Wells Hotel is our name  We are located in north central Pennsylvania--we're an hour north of Williamsport, PA, or 45 minutes from Corning, NY.  We're an old hotel built in 1869, using steam heat, and are in the town of Wellsboro, PA.  Please feel free to call us 570-724-2111 and ask for Tom, or 570-337-0290 --  cell phone of our maintenance man named Jan.