Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mini-split achilles heel

During the house remodel my GC took a 12" sawzall blade to the line set on my Fujitsu 12RLS. Honest mistake and one that actually gave me an opportunity to move the evaporator. anyone who has followed my posts knows that I am a major fan of the mshp's. I regularly clean the filters and vacuum the face of the coil, that which is exposed. The performance of this 3+ yr old piece of equipment has fallen off. i thought perhaps a refrig leak, but once I got this thing off the wall I was blown away at the condition of the coil and fan blades. This condition is entirely my fault due to lack of scheduled maintenance, adequate maintenance that is. Cleaning these things in place is going to be a real wonder. I have three more in the house. Here goes! I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,363
    Large Q Tips

I installed one in the office of my diesel mechanic. Even though he keeps the doors shut that connect to the shop, there's a lot of nasty stuff that gets into the mini.

I showed him how to get to everything and he uses some of the super-long (12 inch?) Q tips to clean the blades of the blower wheel. Any mild cleaner will be okay on the coil.

The manufacturers really need to come up with better filtering for these. My only reall complaint.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited September 2014
    Achilles HEELS!

I sure do agree!!!! And the black mold is an issue also! Not on all ,but, on a lot!

In a Pizza Shop, I used a garden hose and a wet vac.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    mold n dirt collector

They do a great job at keeping the coil below dew point the reason for all the black stuff.and the airflow coming off it create a negative pressure behind the airflow so all dirt become attracted to it.much like when you go in to a big store n you look up and see all the dirt around the vents.we as hvac guy are thinking they should do a better job at changing the filter.but the dirt we are seeing is dirt that is being pulled behind the air coming out of the vent bc of the velocity creating a negative pressure as it come out of the grille.