Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Long Island - code question

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
Is there any reason to believe that backflow preventers on boilers and mixing valves on indirect water heaters are not both code requirements? Am I at least half right to think thy are?

Thanks in advance. I'm only licensed in the City of New York.
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited September 2014
    Options
    In Lawn Guyland , NYC and everywhere

Boilers should definitely all require BFP and all water heaters should require a TAMV .  Water heaters as you are all aware have much hotter water at top where delivered water is first drawn from . We should eliminate that risk .  We could probably do away with a lot of redundancy using different valves at different locations . Maybe all the valves for all the different ASSE requirements should go right at the unit as opposed to all over the damn place .  On the fixture side of any of these a sensor could be placed and upon too high temp a valve could be closed .  Seen too many valves at fixtures fail and people getting scolded . Except the 1016 ASSE valves that are right where they should be . 
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • JohnNY
    Options
    Yeah, but

I'm asking a Code question.

Is it Code or not to have a BFP, and separately, a mixing valve?
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited September 2014
    Options
    You

obviously know the answer so why are you inquiring ? Did an inspector tell you that you could not install one or the other ?  I don't understand the question , you know they are needed , INSTALL them .  What are the model codes adopted there ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • JohnNY
    Options
    I don't know the answer for sure.

That's why I'm asking. I know the codes in NYC and a friend of mine in Amagansett just had this work done and asked me to take a look at it.

It's a decent installation but it's missing backflow protection and a mixing device.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JohnNY
    Options
    I don't know the answer for sure.

That's why I'm asking. I'm not one of these people that likes to shout out his opinion on the internet. I'd like to know the facts before I make a comment to the concerned parties.

I know the codes in NYC and a friend of mine in Amagansett just had this work done and asked me to take a look at it.

I did. It's a decent-looking installation but it's missing backflow protection and a mixing device.

If it's code, I have to call the installing plumber and tell him he's got to go back.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    It's Town by Town on LI

And they are not on the same page all the time. Amagansett is in Town of East Hampton, I can't say for certain what they require but it is code in all the towns I am familiar with.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    Options
    There is no "Long Island" code.

As Robert suggested, it's town by town. You'll need to contact the inspector. Speaking of which, was the work inspected?
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Not that easy out here

John,I worked in the city for 15yrs.The one thing I never understood when I moved out to Long Island was the B/S you have to go through.The amount of areas that require different licenses and how the codes are different in many towns.Whenever I am unsure I always call plumbing dept and you will get an answer from a inspector.Call the town at 7.30 am that is usually when you can get them.It amazes me why there cant be either a county license or Ny license excluding the five boroughs as we all know the real challenging plumbing is done in the city.I understand your frustrations but I think the only way you will know is to call inspector.(even though you know the answer).But again if it is code the plumber has to go back and do right.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Amagansett:

I have a daughter that lives in Amagansett. She built a new house a few years ago. It was the first place I ever saw an oil tank vent and fill piped with copper tube. DWV copper tube. It seemed to be sort of wild west territory way out there.

There was a BFD on the boiler. The house is on a well.
  • JohnNY
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I'm going to give the Town a call.

Best to all,

John
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes