Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Granite steps snowmelt

steveg
steveg Member Posts: 16
I have an engineer in the New England area inquiring if any one has designed and/or installed a snowmelt system under 8" granite steps. 

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Whats

the question . I'm sure someone has done it before . 8 " , 2 " what's the difference except response time ?  These steps will actually take longer to cool than a 2" slab also , I don't understand the problem or need for the question to be asked .

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Steps

I think it will be a difficult task. My experience with concrete is that if you don't get the tubing within a couple inches of the nose of the tread, the snow melts then freezes right where you don't want it to on the nose. There is so much surface area on the nose that it is the first to freeze.

If money is no object, I would think that using several inches of insulation underneath and placing the tubing directly under the block would yield the best results. It also helps to run lower water temps and maintaining a constant "idle" temp to get more even heat.

Any chance they will do concrete treads with granite caps?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Same experience

You really need three tubes on the tread to do a good safe melt. One tube close to that front nose of the treaded or you get an ice build up there. I have also seen installers Run PAP up and down instead of across the tread 6" on center. Takes patience, I think John Abularage in up NY does his steps that method

I doubt tube under 8 " of anything would do much melting. Maybe if you ramped it up starting in June
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • steveg
    steveg Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Hotrod!

That was my thought before posting and you confirmed it.