Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EDR and margin of error

Options
Hi everyone-

I posted yesterday about my boiler, which has gone kaput: <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/151222/Confirmation-of-boiler-failure">http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/151222/Confirmation-of-boiler-failure</a>

I've gone through my house and attempted to compute the total EDR of my radiators. I don't have the big Every Darn Radiator book. Instead, I just consulted some of the standard worksheets that ask about radiator type along with height and number of sections. Now, I'm not asking anyone to go and look up figures from Dan's book (I can pay for that if need be). Instead, I'm interested in your impressions as to whether I need to be more precise in my overall approach.

Four of my sixteen attached radiators (I believe the house originally had 18) are not represented in the standard worksheets.

One of these is a wall radiator. I made an estimate based on EDRs for wall radiators of similar dimensions. Only a couple of hundred BTUs ride on the accuracy of this estimate, so I'm not concerned.

The remaining three radiators are probably more consequential. These are unusual in that they are unusually stout - 16" - for six-tube radiators. For these, again, I just made a rough estimate of per-section EDR based on what was available for near-sized radiators.

After factoring in two possible pick-up constants - 133% and 150%, I came up with BTU's of 124488 and 140400. The boiler I'm getting rid of is rated for 187500.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Boiler Kaput

The definitive boiler leal test is the overfilling of the boiler (which you have done), and then letting it sit for a day or two. Any leakage will be seen on the floor, or in the firebox.

Based on the pictures, I would say that you are correct in assuming a terminal leak.

As regards the figuring df EDR, take the end result of "square feet of EDR" of the radiators, and compare it to the same value as given in the boiler makers specs for the range of boilers they sell. Usually no conversion is needed to BTU.

Probably the leak in the return has cause a constant flow of fresh oxygenated water into the boiler, shortening its life, so don't forget to fix that as well.--NBC
  • The_Gel
    The_Gel Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks

Nick-

Thanks for your quick response; I had the same theory about the wet return.

Kyle
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    There is

a pretty substantial margin for wiggle room in figuring EDR for a system.  As NBC said, the best approach is to look for a boiler which is reasonably closely matched to what you figure your EDR to be.  Within 10 percent for your EDR calculations is just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England