Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

engineer

Working on some renovations to an 1920's steam radiator system. At the end of one of the mains, there is a wet main on the drawings and it apparently is under the floor. The return main is next to the steam main. See the attached drawing detail.

Project is to put an elevator where the wet return supposedly is. What options do I have for the wet return except cutting the floor and rerouting? All radiators after the 3 column, 56 sq.ft. will be gone. I think that it is there as a trap for the main. If I get rid of that one also, do I need to keep the wet return?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Return

Here's the answer you hate to here...it depends. Can it be rerouted? Can it be converted into a dry return?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Moving wet return

If the wet return is below the waterline of the boiler, then it can be easily rerouted without regard to slope. Make sure there is a valve and tee on it for flushing purposes.

Is this 1-pipe, or 2-pipe?--NBC
  • RustyHill
    RustyHill Member Posts: 2
    wet return

It's a 2 pipe system with a return from the upper floors at pretty much the same elevation as the steam but this small radiator at the end of the main appears to be there just as a trap. I think I can get rid of it.

Thanks
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Check very carefully!

that small radiator at the end of the main to which you refer may be important for getting proper venting of that main.  There has to be a way for the air to get out of the steam main -- either into the dry return to which you refer, or into the air. 
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England