Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One riser or two?

Pilot RE
Pilot RE Member Posts: 11
I’m replacing the riser(s) and header on my Weil McLain EG-75.  The manual recommends a minimum of one 3”

riser and a 3” header. For the next larger boiler in the series, WM recommends

a minimum of two 2” risers and a 3” header. Given that two 2” risers have

slightly smaller volume than one 3” riser, shouldn’t a single 3” riser perform

better? Is there a benefit to using both taps even with a slight reduction in

capacity? The boiler has two 3” taps, and I plan to install a drop header. I am

aware that two 3” risers would be the best, though less affordable, option.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    two vs one

Two risers pull steam from two different locations making for a more balanced situation.  I believe when you pull from one location it usually causes the water level to shift and raise towards that area.

If I was piping it I would without a doubt use two 3" risers  into a 4" or 5" header.  I piped my EG-45 with two 2's into a 3" header.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    two

I would use two, It will slow down the steam….
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    If you decide to use 2

they should both be 3 inch.  As has been noted, two 2 inch are actually smaller in area than one 3 inch.

There is some advantage to having two, but on the 75 it isn't really necessary, provided that the rest of the header piping and all is correct.  I'd put my effort into building a drop header for it, instead of going with two 3 inch -- you'll have better steam quality.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ranzerox
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    two 2 1/2" risers would be best with

a 4" header. Two 3" is over kill and squeezing it all into a 3" header would just leave you with high velocity steam.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Piping

According to my charts, I would agree with the 4" header. But, 2.5" risers come up short on capacity for me (180K BTUH @ 20 ft./sec). I would go for two 3" risers. Either way, the manufacturer's suggestion are always much smaller than they should be. I would disregard almost all of their piping sizes.
  • Pilot RE
    Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Any of these options is sure to be an improvement over what is currently installed!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited August 2014
    Ouch

Almost anything would be better than that.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Wow

At least you can recoup some of the expense from the scrap copper. Does that thing even work?
  • Pilot RE
    Sort of

An appropriate quantity of wet steam is produced.
  • Pilot_RI
    Pilot_RI Member Posts: 4
    The improved version.
    (Pilot RE now Pilot_RI)
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    NICE JOB!!!!!! Made me SMILE!!!! :)
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Looks solid, just wondering if you have an equalizer, from that angle I can't see one
  • Pilot_RI
    ...Makes me smile too, especially when it's running and I no longer hear any of the noises I used to.

You can see the equalizer from this angle. (Insulation will be added in a few weeks.)
  • SwedishPimple
    SwedishPimple Member Posts: 18
    What a vast improvement over the piping you had before. That's a sweet looking drop header. I think I see an equalizer hiding behind that second riser...yes?

How's the performance? Any noticeable difference in the overall heating of the system?

S.P.
    Burnham IN6 |one-pipe steam
    Boiling water for heat since 2006.
  • SwedishPimple
    SwedishPimple Member Posts: 18
    Ha! Looks like you answered my questions as I was asking them. Good Job! Take care. S.P.
    Burnham IN6 |one-pipe steam
    Boiling water for heat since 2006.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Why all the bushings and 45s.. why not cast iron…looks better but,just asking?
  • Pilot_RI
    SP: I'll have a better idea of performance when it gets colder. My test runs have been brief but positive; it's just too warm to leave the heat on.

JA: Fair questions all. Those take offs aren't as elegant as I'd like, however they were designed to allow condensate to drain back to the header without getting trapped, and the geometry doesn't work with 90s for either main; the ceiling and girder are in the way for the one, the header and main are pitched in opposite directions for the other. There's also very little room to work on that side of the boiler. It was a compromise like every design.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Nice! The dry steam don't care about no stinkin 45's! Have you skimmed it yet? Did you do it yourself?

Rob
  • Pilot_RI
    The boiler has been well skimmed and will be skimmed again. I did everything myself (while occasionally wishing for a second set of hands).
    RobG