Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate Return Line Cleanout System: looking for recommendations

Options
KevinK
KevinK Member Posts: 67
System details:  one pipe steam; residential; 150,000 btu boiler.

My 85 year old iron condensate return lines had to be replaced due to corrosion and sediment build-up. This was done 4 years ago; the new lines are copper. I am wondering whether I should add a cleanout system.  I am looking for  nput/recommendations.

The CR lines consist of two legs of approximately 50 ft each. I am assuming that I would need something like a ball valve at each elbow where the CR vertical drop “elbows” to horizontal. (Maybe on a wye on the drop?) And then another ball valve at the cleanout where the CR line meets the near-boiler plumbing. If I had garden hose fittings at each of these three locations, I could use a garden hose, first from one side and then the other, to wash out the sediment. The discharge could be conveyed to my basement floor drain via a second garden hose. If I did this once per year, I’m thinking that I could maintain clean CR lines for generations. So, my basic questions are:

1. Is a CR cleanout system recommended?

2. Is there a standard approach to this/what are the recommended “details?” E.g., type and location of inlet and outlet valves; mechanism for conveying the discharge to floor drain.

3. Are there issues that I haven’t thought of or am unaware of? I am asking this in part because it seems like such a no-brainer, and yet I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere.

Thanks.
One-pipe steam. NG fired. 2100 sq ft heated space.
Utica Boiler PEG150C (150,000 Btu/hr Input) connected to 491 sq ft of radiation. Operating press 0.5 psi.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    A cleanout arrangement

is a good idea -- although you may find that once a year is more than enough.  Surprising how clean steam is...

If it were mine to play with, though, I'd have a ball valve where the lines meet the boiler piping, so you could isolate the boiler from the returns (not a bad idea anyway -- that way, with a king valve on the connection from the header to the house system you can completely isolate the boiler if you even need to raise the pressure on it slightly).  But I wouldn't bother with big valves on the rest of the return system -- they're expensive.  Instead, have drain cocks (you need them anyway) and use T's with a threaded plug.  Just close the main valve, open the drain cocks, undo the plugs and blast away with your hose...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KevinK
    KevinK Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for your input.          The CR lines are 1-1/4” copper. Through my local htg equip supplier, I found the Webstone 3-way ball valve that has a capped hose connection:

http://www.webstonevalves.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=50614W&catlist=24

I plan to install these on the two CR drops.
    One-pipe steam. NG fired. 2100 sq ft heated space.
    Utica Boiler PEG150C (150,000 Btu/hr Input) connected to 491 sq ft of radiation. Operating press 0.5 psi.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Ball Drains rock

One of our favorite fittings.  Buy them by the box.