Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hercules coal furnace--how much to ask our neighbor for it?

Options
In 1973 we moved a Hercules coal furnace (gravity type, not octopus) from the cellar of our farmhouse to the barn. We're cleaning out the barn. A local person has offered to buy it. It's disassembled, of course.

A local person's interested in buying it. We'd like to sell it to him rather than sell it for scrap, or have to bundle it for shipping out of state.

Could someone offer a ballpark figure?

Here are the defects I'm aware of:

1. Approx. 2 1/2 inch-long crack at base of detachable smoke collar on heat exchanger (see photo).

2. One semi-circular grate is missing; the other has some cracks but appears to be usable/repairable.

3. Handle on ash-pit door is broken.

4. Small cover plate over 2 holes to left of firebox door is broken in half; upper half is missing.

Since we don't have an "exploded diagram" showing all parts, I can't be 100% sure everything is there, but as far as I can tell, nothing else is missing or broken, except various nuts and bolts, which are easily replaceable.

We have 18 photos, if that would help.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Weight

I would sell it as if was scrap. You will never have hard feelings that way. What does steel scrap for in your area? $.10 per pound?

What else are you going to do with it? It will go to a good home, or continue to rust in their yard.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein